|“||Today closes the chapter on a very significant part of my life. Being Spencer Hastings in the crazy world was a rare and beautiful gift. A gift that will continue to give for the rest of my days on this Earth. And I wanted to say thank you to all the people who gave it to me.||”|
— Troian Bellisario
Life and CareerTroian Avery Bellisario was born in Los Angeles County, California. She is the daughter of television producer Donald Bellisario and actress Deborah Pratt. Pratt portrayed a character named Troian in the Quantum Leap episode "A Portrait for Troian". The character Troian was named after Troian Bellisario. Deborah, her mother, is African American, which makes Troian 50% African American. She is the half-sister of Michael Bellisario. The actor Sean Murray and the producer Chad W. Murray are her stepbrothers. Her step-brother, Sean Murray plays Special Agent Timothy McGee on the hit TV series NCIS which Troian guest-starred on as Timothy McGee's sister.Bellisario made her acting debut in the 1988 film Last Rites at the age of three. From 1990 to 2007, she guest starred on Quantum Leap, Tequila and Bonetti, JAG, First Monday and NCIS, television series that were produced by her father Donald Bellisario. In 1998, she co-starred with Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen in the film Billboard Dad. Beginning in 2006, Bellisario began appearing in a number of independent short films such as Unspoken, Archer House, and Intersect. In November 2009, Troian was cast as Spencer Hastings in the TV series Pretty Little Liars, based on the book series by Sara Shepard. She later also plays Alex Drake, Spencer's twin-sister in the same series.
In 2012, Troian stars in the short film Exiles as Juliet, and Joyful Girl as Belle. In 2013, she stars in a film titled C.O.G. as Jennifer.
In 2016, Troian married an actor named Patrick J. Adams, the star of the hit USA Network show, Suits. Her fellow PLL cast mates Ashley Benson, Lucy Hale, Ian Harding, Keegan Allen, and Sasha Pieterse attended the wedding. Patrick later made a cameo in Troian's TV show Pretty Little Liars, as Hardy.
In 2017, she made her directorial debut after directing an episode of PLL. She went on to write and produce her own movie which she titled Feed. The movie starred herself and Tom Felton. After the finale of Pretty Little Liars, she confessed that she wanted to do more directing.In 2018, she directed an episode of the hit Freeform series, Famous In Love.
|1988||Last Rites||Nuzo's daughter||Theatrical film|
|1990||Quantum Leap||Teresa||1 episode|
|1992||Tequila and Bonetti||Teresa Garcia||1 episode|
|1998||JAG||Erin Terry||1 episode|
|1998||Billboard Dad||Kristen||Direct-to-video film|
|2002||First Monday||Kimberly Baron||2 episodes|
|2005–2006||NCIS||Sarah McGee||2 episodes|
|2006||Unspoken||Jani||Independent short film|
|2007||Archer House||Tatum||Independent short film|
|2007||Intersect||Victoria||Independent short film|
|2010–2017||Pretty Little Liars||Spencer Hastings|
|2011||Peep World||P.A.||Theatrical film, post-production|
|2012-2013||Lauren||Lauren||Main Role (YouTube Series)|
|2012||Pleased to Meet You||Carson||Main Role|
|2012||The Come Up||Jessica||Independent short film|
|2012||Exiles||Juliet||Independent short film|
|2012||Joyful Girl||Belle||Independent short film|
|2013||Exiles||Julliet||Short film: actress, writer, and executive producer|
|2013||Immediately Afterlife||Bennett||Short film with Shay Mitchell|
|2014||Chuck Hank and the San Diego Twins||Claire||Post-production|
|2015||Surf Noir||Lacey||Short film|
|2015||Still a Rose||Short Film|
|2015||Suits||Claire||Guest; episode: "Fork in the Road"|
|2017||Feed||Olivia Grey||Main Role|
|2017||Pretty Little Liars||Directorial debut; acted while directing; 1 episode|
|2018||Famous In Love||1 episode|
|2018||Good Trouble||1 episode|
- Her Father, Donald P. Bellisario, wrote the Quantum Leap episode, A Portrait for Troian, which aired in 1989, when Troian was four. Troian's mother, Deborah Pratt, played "Troian" in the episode.
- She is the step-sister of Sean Murray (via Vivienne Bellisario and Donald Bellisario), who plays Agent Tim McGee on NCIS. She has appeared in it several times as Sarah McGee, Tim McGee's sister.
- Starred in a short movie called Immediately Afterlife with Shay Mitchell.
- Her best friends on the set of Pretty Little Liars are Keegan Allen, Shay Mitchell, Lucy Hale, Ashley Benson, Tyler Blackburn, Sasha Pieterse and Ian Harding.
- Troian’s taste in music is made of mainly indie rock.
- Troian has a special necklace that she wears with anything. This is her “must-have” accessory.
- In a fantasy world, she would be a rock star. When she was younger, she had a "very intense obsession with death" and was fascinated by forensic scientists and morticians. She had a "draw to work with the dead."
- When she has free time on the set, Troian likes to sleep, write, and work on other projects.
- Both Troian and Spencer are studious and put a lot of pressure on themselves to succeed. We see Spencer's uptight and focused attitude on the show, and Troian said that she was valedictorian of her class, she "felt that [she] had to be the best and the brightest at everything otherwise [she] wasn't worth anything." One big difference is that Troian has learned to re-evaluate her priorities and Spencer has not yet had the life experience necessary to see that need. If Troian was to describe Spencer's superpower, she'd say it was her intellect.
- Troian and her boyfriend, Patrick J. Adams, were revealed to be engaged in late February 2014. 
- Troian had anorexia nervosa.
- Troian went to Campbell Hall School and USC.
- Was childhood friends with Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen.
- She was also childhood friends with fellow Pretty Little Liars actress Lulu Brud.
- In January 2017, she cut her hair shorter for the first time in seven years.
- She and Andrea Parker are the only main actors on the show to have played more than one character.
- When she found out that she would playing A.D., she asked Marlene not to tell the other cast mates so their performances weren't affected.
- As Alex Drake, Troian purposely fiddled with her hands, but when she was playing Spencer Hastings she didn't. This was an acting choice that she made to differentiate the characters and give the audience a little clue that Spencer was off.
- She did a year of dialect training prior to portraying Alex's British accent, as she wanted Alex to have a more, "street" accent.
- If she could play in any movie, she would like to play Lisbeth Salander from The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.
- If Troian had to pick another character other then Spencer to have an evil twin, she would pick Alison.
- She loved directing Sasha, as the pair have a great relationship off-screen.
- She was a fan of Spaleb, and respected that Spencer and Hanna talked about it and how the plot played out.
- One of her favorite scenes to film was the scene between Caleb, Spencer, and Hanna where Caleb is talking through the door.
- She has said that she never had a problem doing emotional scenes in the final season, because she had played Spencer for so long, and the relationships felt real to her.
- Both she and Keegan Allen think that it would be really cool and funny to see the Hastings, Drake's, and DiLaurentis' in one big family therapy session.
- She attended the royal wedding between Megan Markle and Prince Harry with her husband.
|2010||Vision Festival||Best Acting (Female Lead)||Consent||Won|
|2010||FirstGlance Philadelphia||Best Actress||Consent||Won|
|2011||Teen Choice Awards||Choice Summer TV Star: Female||Pretty Little Liars||Nominated|
|2012||Teen Choice Awards||Choice Summer TV Star: Female||Pretty Little Liars||Won|
|2013||IAWTV Awards||Best Female Performance (Drama)||Lauren||Nominated|
|2013||New York Festivals||Best Performance by an Actress||Lauren||Won|
|2013||Streamy Awards||Best Female Performance (Drama)||Lauren||Nominated|
|2013||Teen Choice Awards||Choice TV Actress: Drama||Pretty Little Liars||Won|
|2014||Teen Choice Awards||Choice TV Actress: Drama||Pretty Little Liars||Nominated|
|2015||Teen Choice Awards||Choice Summer TV Star: Female||Pretty Little Liars||Nominated|
|2016||Teen Choice Awards||Choice TV Actress: Drama||Pretty Little Liars||Nominated|
|2017||Teen Choice Awards||Choice TV Actress: Drama||Pretty Little Liars||Nominated|
|2017||Television Industry Advocacy Awards||Support to National Eating Disorders Awareness||Feed||Won|