|“||What we had was real.||”|
— Toby to Spencer
|Spencer Hastings and Toby Cavanaugh|
Kind of Pairing:
| 1st Relationship: A Person of Interest
2nd Relationship: UnmAsked
3rd Relationship: A DAngerous GAme
| 1st Relationship: Over My Dead Body and The Blond Leading the Blind
2nd Relationship: Misery Loves Company
Spoby is the name of the romantic relationship between Spencer Hastings and Toby Cavanaugh. The relationship between the pair starts out less-than-friendly, as Toby's involvement with his step-sister Jenna, his being a rumored peeping-Tom, and the Liars' previous mistaken belief that Toby killed Alison causes distrust from Spencer's end. Things change when Spencer tutors Toby in French and they begin to spend more time together, at first to seek out information, but they soon bond over their shared feelings of persecution. Despite the disapproval of her mother and sister, their relationship grows and she is in a serious relationship with him by the end of the first season, often displaying the depth of her feelings for him, reciprocated by Toby.
|“||I've never had a safe place to land but now I feel like I do, so I want you to stay safe.||”|
— Spencer to Toby
During much of Season 1, Spencer shows nothing but disdain for Toby. She believes he spied on them through windows while Ali was alive, forced himself on his step-sister Jenna, attacked Emily at the Homecoming dance, momentarily believes he ran over Hanna, and she even believes him to be Alison's secret boyfriend and murderer, along with the rest of Rosewood, and "A" for a while. Her feelings begin to change after the girls clear him of being "A" and find a new suspect in Alison's murder.
- While Toby was out of prison on bail, and Spencer is out for a run, she sees
- After some little kids run away from him, truly frightened, he runs into an alley to cry, and Spencer seems to pity him for once.
- At Emily's one day, Spencer notices Toby cleaning up the remains of his mailbox which had been vandalized, a common occurrence of late. She apologizes to Emily for badmouthing him, but Emily thinks she is directing the apology to the wrong person. Spencer seems to take this to heart.
- Later, at school, they spot a flier calling for a French tutor for a home-schooled student, obviously Toby, who is currently on house arrest. Spencer pulls down the flier, hoping she can share information with Toby and learn who is framing them both.
- At the Cavanaugh home, Spencer stops to pick up the mail, which has been unceremoniously dropped on the ground in the absence of a mailbox. When Toby opens the door, she hands him the mail, and he wordlessly takes it.
- Before he shuts the door again, she informs him that she is there to tutor him, as per the school's advertisement. He accepts her offer to meet on the porch, since he can't leave his property, but also doesn't want to study with Spencer in the house, too close to Jenna.
- Spencer then gives Toby a French translation of "Catcher in the Rye," explaining the best way to learn another language is to read a book you have already read, but in that other language. He asks how she knows that he's read the book before, and she confesses that she noticed him reading it at the Apple Rose Grille.
- He then questions Spencer's motives in helping him, seeing her behavior as a complete reversal. Spencer confides that she thinks that he was framed and now believes that she is being framed too. They commiserate together, and Spencer properly apologizes for suspecting him.
- When they start discussing the evidence from the day Alison disappeared, they are startled by someone (Jenna) suddenly shutting a window and Toby heads back inside, thanking her for the book.
- Back in Emily's room, Spencer plays the scene with Toby over and over again in her mind.
- Spencer then shows up to Toby's home and is nonplussed when he tells her to leave with barely any explanation. He hands her the French textbook and closes the door behind him, leaving her on the doorstep.
- She later spots a note tucked in the book. It is a rubbing of a message he found in Jenna's room, telling her that he thinks she may be right about Jenna.
- Spencer, upset that the message Toby gave her appears to be nonsense, goes to his house to confront him. He tells her she is reading it wrong and to come back Saturday morning when Jenna will be away at her flute lesson. Later, she has an epiphany and is able to decipher the code.
- Spencer visits Toby's home again, and finding the door open, goes snooping in Jenna’s room until Toby warns her to stop.
- Toby had been on the phone with the District Attorney and learned the charges are being dropped, as the blood evidence they collected was corrupted, and they can’t go to trial with it. Thus, Toby is no longer under house arrest for the murder of Alison DiLaurentis.
- He can have his tracking anklet removed as soon as he goes to the Rosewood Police Department.
- Spencer offers Toby a ride to the station, and he accepts, leaving Jenna rebuffed when he turns down her ride in a taxi with him. He grabs Spencer's hand and walks past Jenna
- After leaving the Rosewood Police Department, Spencer takes Toby to the town limits, where the non-vandalized Rosewood population sign stands. She wants him to be able to enjoy his newfound freedom.
- Spencer also informs Toby that she figured out the Braille message he left her "214." Toby doesn't know what it means, but he did overhear Jenna talking about Spencer when she printed out that embossed message.
- Toby posits that Jenna is afraid of Spencer and the girls. Later, she drives him home, passing the motel.
In "The Badass Seed," Toby and Spencer talk at her house to discuss the meeting she witnessed between Jenna and Ian that day at school. Spencer demands that Toby steal Jenna's phone so that they can uncover what he's hiding. At first, Toby doesn't want to because he doesn't want anything to do with Jenna at all. But Spencer convinces him that if he doesn't, he is liable to be framed for murder again.
The next morning, Spencer makes Toby breakfast, even though he had breakfast plans with Emily, and he hands her Jenna's phone, which he stole the night before. He is afraid of Jenna's reaction. Spencer uses the opportunity to ask Toby why Alison had been so sure that Toby was the one spying on them. He doesn't know, but is firm that he never spied on anyone.
Spencer and her friends discover a piece of evidence at school which they believe proves Ian killed Alison and turn it over to the police. Emily can sense Spencer's growing friendship with Toby and encourages her to be the one to tell him the good news.
Toby and Spencer's friendship develops into something more in "A Person of Interest." Toby is staying at the motel to escape Jenna's wrath, who knows he went in her room and stole her cell phone. Toby also tells Spencer that he will help her in any way that he can. After Toby goes to get a room, Spencer hears flute music coming from Room 214 - the braille numbers! When she peeks through the window into the room, she sees a bag from "Neufelds," the same exact bag Ian mysteriously gave Jenna.
After school, Spencer goes to keep Toby company in his hotel room, not too keen on returning home to her own accusing parents. Now she is the one being framed for Alison's murder, giving her incentive to step up this investigation with Toby. When Spencer sees a housekeeper pass by in the hallway, she gets an idea and offers her $20 to let them into Room 214. There, they find Jenna's glasses on the floor, and the shopping bag in the closet, unfortunately empty.
Sure that Jenna's staying in the motel, Toby and Spencer stake the room out from the room next door. Spencer is hopped up on caffeine, and brings board games to keep them entertained, and also shows Toby an app on her phone which will enable them to listen through the walls. Toby joyfully beats Spencer at Scrabble, and since Spencer's staying overnight was not planned, Toby gives her his shirt to sleep in, keeping the trousers for himself. As he changes in the bathroom, Spencer sees him through the broken door and admires his abs. Later that night, after Toby has fallen asleep, Spencer changes, then gingerly curls up next to him.
In the morning, Spencer wakes up first, finding herself wrapped around Toby. She disengages herself and leaves the bed before Toby wakes up, leaving him thinking that they slept far apart from each other. They hear noise from the ice machine outside then flute music coming from 214, but when they open the door, they see it was only an audio recording, and they soon realize it‘s just another set-up by the nefarious "A." The notorious Neufeld's shopping bag is filled with ice, with a note from "A" telling them they're ice cold. It may be a set up, but it definitely brings these two closer.
Spencer and Toby part in the parking lot of the motel. Toby is planning to stay another night, and invites Spencer to come back. The two share an unexpected first kiss.
In "Someone to Watch Over Me," Toby comes over and informs Spencer the cops are outside watching. He is all too familiar with the feeling of being suspected by the police and coaches Spencer accordingly, urging her to serve the cops coffee in a bold move acknowledging their presence, yet not being afraid.
Later, Toby and Spencer spend comforting time sitting alone in her house. He apologizes for Jenna's involvement in hurting Hanna (by using Caleb), feeling partially responsible. Spencer wonders if it's too late to run away. She recounts a story from her childhood. When she was 7, she and Melissa got into a huge fight and their parents sided with Melissa. Spencer was so upset, she made herself a tuna-salad sandwich and ran away... to the movies, where she watched an animated princess film. She returned home when she got lonely only to find that no one even noticed she was missing. Toby then says that if she ever has the urge to run away again to call him first, and he takes her hand.
In "Monsters in the End," Spencer's mother tells her not to see Toby anymore. Blatantly ignoring this, Spencer goes to Toby, who is fixing his motorcycle. Toby knows that Spencer is innocent, but when he sees a cop car pull up closely, he suggests that she leave and offers to visit her in her home later. He picks up on the fact that her parents would rather he not come around, though. So, they agree to meet up at the festival at 7 PM instead. Jenna comes out of the house, then, and calls Toby to drive her to school.
At the festival, Spencer gets a text from Toby, telling her to meet him in the funhouse. The text, however, was not really from Toby, it was a set-up from "A." Spencer gets trapped in the funhouse until Ian and her family show up and free her. Then Spencer gets a real text from Toby asking where she is. She is shaken, but unharmed. Spencer exits the fun house and soon spots Toby waiting for her. Her mother demands that she follows her home, but after a moment's hesitation, Spencer runs into Toby's arms. They embrace tightly and then kiss in front of Spencer's mother and sister and nosy church lady Mrs. Ackard.
In "For Whom the Bell Tolls," Toby and Spencer are seen in her room reading and studying, respectively, until Toby calls Spencer over to sit on his lap by the window; where she soon falls asleep.
After a while, Spencer gets a text from her sister, saying that she needs a ride home from the church. Toby tells Spencer that he'll keep Jenna busy like she wants him to, but he wishes he was going with her instead. She tells him that he's helping her by finding out if Jenna's involved in Alison's murder. She then tells him that he is her safe place to land, and that she wants him to stay safe. They kiss again.
|“||Because I missed you. Shutting you out is killing me.||”|
— Spencer to Toby
Later that night, Spencer hears a branch break outside her house and immediately locks all the doors she can, turns off the lights, and hides behind the kitchen counter, armed with a butcher knife.Turns out it's just Toby. He explains "I had to see you" and she cries in his arms. Toby stays and they talk for a while and he then leaves telling Spencer to "lock the doors." Spencer smiles and responds with "Yes, sir" as she watches him leave.
In "The Goodbye Look," Toby shows up at school and tells Spencer he is going to get a GED; he has scored a job at a construction company. Spencer is proud of him, but slightly depressed about the possibility of Toby leaving Rosewood. He soothes her concerns by telling her she is the reason he'll stay.
Spencer sits in her car and watches what appears to be Toby being laid-off. He approached her and says the customer saw him and told them they'd fire the company if he wasn't removed. Spencer seems furious by this, declaring, "He cannot do that." Toby asks her to drop the matter.
Toby comes to Spencer's house later that evening. Toby seems upset that Spencer did not tell him of Ian texting Melissa. She doesn't think telling him would have changed the circumstances; he tells her that he would have tried to help, regardless. The two watch over Rosewood, and Spencer tells Toby she'll go to the police if that's what he would like her to do. He wraps an arm around her, and she rests her head against his chest.
In "My Name Is Trouble," Toby comes to the school to drop off his GED paperwork and he tells Spencer he has another construction job with Jason. Spencer is wary, so she makes him promise he won't go inside Jason's house, since the girls don't trust Jason. He says "I promise" and kisses her.
Spencer comes to visit Toby at work and tries to get him to quit, but he tells her he needs the money. Spencer finds the engagement ring that Melissa had been looking for and she sells it to a pawn shop. She uses the money supplied from pawning her sister's ring in order to purchase the truck Toby needed to begin a different construction job. Toby is stunned and happy, and he tells her he loves her "so much"; to which Spencer replies "I wanted to say that first." The two then kiss.
In "Never Letting Go," Toby walks Spencer home. It seems the two can't keep their hands off each other. Spencer asks him if he can help out tomorrow for the fashion show by building her make up tables. Toby responds with "For you I wont sleep until its done." Toby kisses her in the Hastings' doorway, and they bid each other good night.
Later at the fashion show, Spencer goes backstage to talk to Toby while he works on the lighting. He calms her down after she gets worked up from Mona's attitude. The two then giggle and kiss again. Later on in the fashion show while Spencer is giving out swag bags Toby comes talk to her and compliment her appearance. When Mona interrupts their conversation to issue orders to Spencer, Toby again reminds her to take a breath.
In "Surface Tension," Spencer's dad hires Toby at Spencer's suggestion to do work in the yard after the fence Jason was working on was stopped. Spencer goes to the backyard finding Toby and begins to flirt with him. She tells him that she can make him a grilled cheese sandwich while fanning herself while she watches him work. He begins to laugh and they start kissing.
Later that night, Toby takes Spencer up near the woods as he comforts Spencer at night when she tells him about her dad. Spencer tells Toby that he dad thinks she is doing this just to get attention and he tries to calm her down saying he cant think that about her while grabbing her hand. Spencer also brings up how Ali had died and that fact that her dad may think that she killed Ali.
In "Touched by an 'A'-ngel," Spencer fills in Toby on the developments between Garrett and Jenna. The two of them blow off the school college fair to sort through Ian's leftover belongings. Toby spots Ian's yearbook among a crate of his books. They open up to Ian's page; the caption under his picture reads: "Captain Lacrosse Team, Honors Society, Drama Club, N.A.T. Club." Spencer, who's sure that she is familiar with every single club on campus, is befuddled. They flip through the yearbook index of clubs to check for a description of the club, but there is none, leading them to believe that it was some sort of prank. They do find two other members with similar captions, though: Garrett Reynolds and Jason DiLaurentis.
In "I Must Confess," Toby gives Spencer a ride to school in his truck. Spencer thinks that it was Garret on the phone and that Garret and Jenna got into a fight. Toby also tells Spencer that Jenna and Garret were in front of Jason's house and thinks that the We See Everything Club is back. Spencer, worried about him, says not to get involved because she doesn't want to give Jenna a reason to break them up. Toby assures her that it will never happen and he kisses her. She gets out of the car and smiles at him as she walks into school.
Toby and Spencer make out in Toby's truck near Spencer's house until Toby catches sight of someone in Jason's house. Spencer then sees two figures and assumes it's Jason and his friends voyeuristically spying on the two lovers' make out session. Spencer gets out of the car to storm up to the house, while Toby buttons up his shirt and tries to stop her. She is stopped in her tracks when her father comes out. When Spencer questions him, he deflects her questions, and when Toby steps in to defend his girlfriend, he gets yelled at and threatened by Peter. Spencer ignores her father's order to return home and gets in Toby's truck before he drives away from her father.
In "Over My Dead Body,"Spencer and Toby are in her room while Toby calls to check on his truck. Toby says that the brake fluid was low. Spencer finds this weird because he treats that car like its his baby. Toby than asks Spencer if they had a baby, what would it look like and Spencer responds with "a newborn with a six-pack." They're about to kiss when Toby sees Jason. Spencer closes the blinds not want to see Jason anymore. Toby than asks Spencer what was going on between her dad and Jason. Spencer snaps at him because her dad said to stay out of it. She quickly apologizes though.
Spencer's doll says "Keep Toby safe," and Spencer realizes that the only way to do that would be to stay away from him. She reluctantly breaks up with him by making him think she doesn't trust him. She tells him that she lied to him earlier about her dad and Jason. She tells him that he deserves someone who can be honest with him and quickly runs away before he can react. He runs after her but she keeps running. Finally, she stops by a tree and starts crying like never before.
Later on, Toby goes down to the police station to support Spencer. When he sees her, he is restrained by three police officers, and he calls out to her, telling her that he loves her. Spencer walks away, teary-eyed, unable to say anything thanks to the villainous "A."
In "Through Many Dangers, Toils, and Snares," Toby tries to win Spencer back, but she constantly rejects him, worrying about his safety. He waits outside her house while she is walking home from school. He asks about her family, and after a slightly awkward, but friendly conversation, Toby shows her the gift he made her - a rocking chair. Although Spencer likes it, she says that she can't accept his gift, and the tone of their meeting changes dramatically. Spencer tells him to forget about her and worry about Jenna and Garrett instead, which angers and upsets Toby, and he leaves.
Later in the episode, Toby witnesses the fight between Spencer, Hanna, Aria and Emily over the box Jason gave Aria after the swim meet. Toby comes to Spencer's house that night to tell her that he's not going to "sit around and watch two people I care about rip into each other like that." Spencer tries to leave her house to meet the other girls at the greenhouse, but Toby insists on knowing what is going on. He tells her that he never believed Jenna when she said that Spencer was trying to replace Alison until now seeing how she acted with Emily. Spencer, still trying to keep him safe from A and needing to meet Emily at the greenhouse, tells him to leave and she will explain everything the next day. When he asks what difference one night is going to make, she tells him that "It could change everything."
Toby and Spencer seem to be moving closer to reconciling in "A Hot Piece of A." Spencer on her way to school, sees Toby and wants to talk to him. She wants to do it some place more private because they are on a sidewalk so they go in his truck.Spencer talks to Toby in his truck during the episode and tells him, "Shutting you out is killing me." Toby then asks her, "So you came here to tell me than you can't be here?" After hearing Toby say that, Spencer begins to laugh, as does Toby, and he soon pulls her in for a kiss, which quickly turns into a make-out session that is quickly interrupted by Garrett, who is speaking to Jenna angrily over the phone. Toby quickly fills Spencer in on what is happening between the two of them, although he is as clueless as Spencer about what (and who) they are really arguing about.
In "The Blond Leading the Blind," Toby thinks he and Spencer are dating. He shows up at her house to get his stuff and he even calls her. Before he showed up, A sent Spencer a text saying "I WARNED YOU!" with a picture of them kissing in his car. Worried what A might do, Spencer has Emily take the call. She lies and says shes not here but he knows Spencer is there.
Later, Toby goes to the work site to take down the scaffolding when it "gave way" and he fell. Spencer's mom had taken him to the hospital and called Spencer during school. Later at the hospital, Toby is okay and he only has a broken arm. Spencer and him talk about what happened and how he fell when Wren appears. Wren makes it obvious that something happened with him and Spencer in the past and Toby catches on. After Wren leaves he asked her if there was something he should know. Before she could say anything A sends her a message saying "Almost got him! Next time Toby wont be so lucky!" This clearly worries her.
Then Jenna comes and visits Toby and says he shouldn't have gone back to that house and that no one will ever care about him the way she does. He says Spencer does but Jenna says shes haunted. When Jenna leaves, Emily comes in while Spencer gets off the elevator. Spencer hears the conversation between Jenna and Emily saying how everyone close to them gets hurt.
While Emily goes in with Toby, who's asleep, she notices that Spencer is looking in with tears in her eyes. Emily goes out to check on her and Spencer says that Jenna was right,being with Toby has put his life in danger. Emily assures her that she has always done everything she could to protect him. Spencer than asks Emily to do her a favor which has something to do with protecting Toby and Emily says yes.
Spencer leaves the hospital and Emily goes in the room with Toby. Toby notices that Emily looks sad and he asks her what's wrong. Emily says that before he and Spencer got together she was with someone and it wasn't right and now its not right again. Emily also says that Spencer wanted to tell him for a long time, but she couldn't. Toby wants to know who it is but Emily doesn't say.
Emily goes to Spencer's house where she finds Spencer in her room crying. Emily shakes her head meaning she did what Spencer told her to do. She then leans her head against the window crying more because she loves Toby and wants to keep him safe from A but he thinks she cheated on him.
Later Wren comes back to Toby's room and Toby wants to know what happened between the two of them. Wren says he kissed Spencer and she told him it was over between them. Toby gets angry and wants him to leave before he hits him.
Later, Toby leaves his truck in Spencer's yard. Emily goes into the car and finds that he left the keys and a note that has Spencer's name on it and Emily gives the note to Spencer. The only thing Spencer says is "He's gone" while beginning to cry. At the end, A is burning a picture of Spencer and Toby making out, meaning that A has successfully broken them up.
In "A Kiss Before Lying," Spencer and Aria are in Spencer's house discussing their relationship issues. Aria asks what happened to Toby's truck and Spencer says she drove it back to his house but she sat in it for a while and listened to the radio, possibly to remember all their good times and make-out sessions they had, but she begins to cry because she misses him. Aria then hugs her.
Later while the girls are at school, Hanna notices that a white t-shirt is sticking out of her sweater. Spencer than says that its Toby's. When Hanna and Spencer hang out, Hanna asks if they could watch The Notebook, but Spencer says she's trying to wan herself off of that but then agrees to watch it possibly so she can cry more about losing Toby.
In "Father Knows Best," after a fight with her dad Spencer leaves the dance and goes outside. She is clearly upset as someone on a motorcycle comes around the corner. She says "Toby" but the person just stares at her and then leaves. She runs a little bit after him. This implies that she not only misses him but also needs him.
In "Eye of the Beholder," Toby returns with a new haircut and a new attitude. Spencer is with Aria, Emily and Hanna getting coffee when Jenna gets out of a cab with Toby. Spencer sees them and she stands up and she smiles at him because she is happy that he is back. But Toby is shooting her an evil eye because he still thinks she cheated on him.
Later at school, Spencer sees Toby with Jenna. When Jenna goes in a room, Spencer talks to Toby. The conversation is really awkward and when Spencer mentions that Toby is back to guiding Jenna around he defends Jenna and says that you (meaning Spencer) better get used to things coming to an end. Spencer tells him that she has been thinking a lot about them, but he tells her it's too late. Then Jenna comes out and her and Toby leave Spencer alone.
The next day, Emily finds Spencer reading and asks if she is thinking about Toby in which Spencer feels like she did such a good job at screwing him up.
Spencer gets a cut on her hand from the fire and she is at the hospital. When she leaves the room that she got her bandage on her hand, Toby comes and says that Jenna wants to talk to them meaning her, Hanna, Emily and Aria. She says okay and starts to walk away. But Toby asks her if she is okay with a concerned look on his face. She replied with "I think so." By Toby asking her, this proves that he still cares about her.
In "If These Dolls Could Talk," Spencer, Hanna, Emily and Aria are at school looking at the old newspapers they found when Jenna comes up to them. Jenna is with Toby and he sets her down at the table the girls are at. He locks eyes with Spencer but he is glaring at her. She seems like she wants to say something but he walks away still believing that she cheated on him.
In "UnmAsked," After Spencer drops her friends off at their houses, she finds Toby cleaning up from the fire at Jason's house. She tries to talk to him about Jenna but he is still cold toward her. She then asks if he'll ever be able to forgive her. After Spencer leaves, Toby gets a call from Dr. Sullivan.
After 'A's identity has been revealed Doctor Sullivan arrives and talk to the girls about 'A's personality disorder. She tells them that she only came back to Rosewood because a friend of theirs showed up and he helped her get over her fears. The 'friend' is then identified as Toby who is waiting outside the police station with his truck. Toby and Spencer both walk towards each other and Toby tells her, "Pretending not to love you was the hardest thing I've ever done." Spencer tries to slap him but he grabs her hand and pulls her closer to him. They look at each other for a moment before exploding into a series of passionate kisses.
|“||Everything I've done was so I could protect you.||”|
— Toby to Spencer
In "It Happened 'That Night'," over the summer Toby had gotten a loft above a new coffee shop. He works around the place so he rents it for free. But the plumbing is down so he showers at Spencer's house. So when Hanna sees Spencer shopping, she asks how Toby likes the loft. She tells her that the plumbing is down so he showers at her place. And Spencer says that she enjoys the loft because she gets to see him shirtless
Toby gets out of the shower shirtless at Spencer's house while she is folding the pillows. He says that he'll try to have the plumbing fixed by the end of the week. She turns around and is checking him out while saying its not a problem at all. He asks if her parents are still out and he then notices that she is wearing his shirt and she says that he'll never get back. Toby compliments her by saying it looks better on her anyway. They begin to make out but Spencer says that she knows it was her idea to wait and she has no idea why she even said that. They kiss even more but Toby catching on that he was only wearing a towel, says she'll remember after he puts some clothes on. After he gets changed, he says that he is sorry about Ali's body but Spencer doesn't want to talk about it. He says its okay and goes over and kisses her again promising to call her later. Spencer and Toby both smile as they leave.
In "Blood Is The New Black," Toby is over at Spencer's house looking over some stuff as Spencer asks him about Jenna. She asks where she went after her music camp got done with, but Toby doesn't know because he was already packing up his stuff. Toby tells Spencer that eating at his house was even weird because his dad and Jenna's mom were treating Jenna like one of her snow globes. Toby then notices that Spencer looks stressed and he tells her to come here. Toby begins to give her a back massage and Spencer begins to calm down. He tells her that she seems really tense and Spencer jokes by saying she was born that way. Toby then says that he could help and he lifts up her shirt and starts kissing her back. Spencer then turns around and they begin to make out until they hear Spencer's mom come in. Toby gets off of Spencer and sits next to her on the couch. Mrs.Hastings invites Toby over for dinner and he says yes.
Toby meets Spencer at a coffee shop where he tells her about Jenna's eye. He says that he went back to get some more of his things and he found these two eye droplets in the bathroom cabinet. Toby says that the dates don't match on when she should have gone for another one. Spencer then says that it is strange for that to happen and Toby tells Spencer that he thinks Jenna can actually see.
In "That Girl is Poison," Spencer is in her room texting Hanna when Toby comes in to her room. She asks what he is doing here and he tells her that her parents were on their way out so they let him in. He then sits next to her on the bed and pulls her and they begin to kiss. But Spencer asks him what is wrong and Toby explains that he thought by getting his own place, he would escape his messed up family. Spencer says that it doesn't help that when they throw birthday parties down below and also asks if his parents expect him to show up. Toby jokes by saying he'll show up when its the she's(Jenna) leaving Rosewood party and Spencer will throw him that party. Spencer and Toby kiss some more but Toby asks if he was barging in on anything. He kisses her cheek while she says she has a French Test to study for but he should totally stay.
Toby goes back to where her pillows are and Spencer asks him about Jenna. They talk about how they were the only two people that figured out that she was faking. When Spencer mentions his parents never figuring it out, Toby says Jenna was scared that everyone would pity her even more. Spencer says that it's weird because the most honest person she knows (Toby) has to share parents with the most deceitful person in Rosewood (Jenna). Toby brings her closer to him and says lets not talk about that person and they begin to make out on her bed.
In "The Remains of the "A"," Toby is at Spencer's house while she researches April Rose on her computer. He talks to her about his job but Spencer is preoccupied. She tells him that she has a lot on her plate, and is sorry for being so distracted. He agrees to let her work, but they end up making out on her sofa, only to be interrupted by Spencer's dad. Toby leaves, with Spencer promising to call him later.
Later, Hanna asks Spencer if she can ask Toby to attend the church benefit dance with her. Spencer is reluctant to get Toby involved, and tells Hanna that she had to cancel on a date with him; it wouldn't be fair to ask him to escort her best friend. However, Spencer eventually agrees to allow Toby to take Hanna. While at the dance, Toby realizes that Hanna and Spencer are lying about why she's at the dance and leaves Spencer a frustrated voicemail, asking her to call him back and explain why she lied to him.
In "Crazy," Toby finds Spencer looking at something in front of the school. He sits next to her so he could talk to her. He wants to know why she is avoiding him and why she lied. Spencer explains to him that she was with Jason and he didn't find that anklet on his own to prove that Garret was guilty. Toby says Jason did the opposite because Garret is getting released. Spencer says that she is not giving up because Garret is guilty. Toby brings up that there was a time when she thought he murdered Ali and it has made him slower to pass judgment. The bell rings and Spencer leaves for class but turns and looks at Toby for a bit.
After Spencer covers for Jason, she comes home to find Toby. They hug each other as Spencer tells him she needs a ride to her car. Before Spencer can explain what happened, Wilden shows up wanting to know why her car was at a hit and run. Toby covers for her by saying he picked her up after work and they've been here all night. Wilden seems to buy it and leaves but Toby still asks questions. Spencer wants Toby to not tell anyone about this because Jason could lose everything which Toby agrees too.
In "Stolen Kisses," Toby stops at Spencer's house to tell her about Jason. He is clearly angry because Jason left town and left both of them lying to the cops. But Spencer just wanted to protect her brother and Toby wanted to protect her. When Spencer grabs her phone so she could call someone, Toby grabs it and makes her listen to what he has to say. He knows that she won't tell him the truth about anything so he'll make it easy on her, he will find out for himself. Toby then leaves her house so he can get answers as Spencer tries to stop him.
In "The Kahn Game," Spencer is at home taking off her earrings from the party when she pulls out her phone. She calls Toby but he does not answer so she leaves him a voice message. Spencer tells him that she really misses him and that she is worried about him. After the phone call, Spencer looks a little upset because she is worried about him.
In "The Lady Killer," Spencer is in town when she sees Toby come up to her. They run toward each other and hug for a while. Spencer is sorry for the lies but Toby knows who she is so she doesn't have to be sorry. Toby and Spencer then kiss and reunite in the town.
Toby and Spencer are making out in Spencer's room. They go to the bed when Spencer realizes that she is ready. Toby takes off his shirt as they move back to the bed and have sex for the first time. And after, Spencer puts Toby's shirt on.
Spencer and Toby then go back downstairs holding hands because Toby has to back to his job. Spencer thinks that he took the job to get away from her, but he didn't because he is right where he needs to be. They then kiss and after they both say I love you to each other. After they hug for a while Toby then leaves to go back to his job. Spencer calls Hanna to make sure she has Maya's bag so they can catch A and Spencer can tell Toby the truth.
In "This Is A Dark Ride," Toby shows up at Spencer's house interrupting Spencer's and Garrett's conversation. After Garrett leaves, Toby wants to know what Garrett wanted. Garrett would have told Spencer what happened the night Ali's body went missing but he is not going to tell her when they are not alone. Toby isn't going to leave her alone with Garrett. Spencer smiles because he wants to protect her and they kiss.
Spencer and Toby enter the Brew in their costumes. When the Ghost Train arrives, they go and dance to "Cuckoo" played by Adam Lambert. After the girls found Garrett's dead body, Toby and Spencer wait on the train because the police want statements before anybody can go home. Toby puts his hand on her shoulder and asks her if she is okay. She rests her head on his hand trying to let the stress go.
In She's Better Now, Spencer and Toby have lunch outside of the school. She tells him about Mona getting released from Radley with no warning. Spencer also tells him that she missed him and tugs on his hair. They then discuss Jenna transferring schools and if it had something to do with Garrett's death because two members of the NAT club are now dead. Spencer also makes a point about how the cops couldn't find the gun that killed Garrett.
Spencer and Toby go on a run after school and afterward, Toby gets the hot tub fired up so they can go in it. When they go in, they kiss for a bit before Toby realizes Spencer has something on her mind. Spencer expresses her concern about Jason, and doesn't understand why he can't see that Mona is dangerous. Just then, Spencer hears something but Toby tries to calm her down by giving her a neck massage.
When Spencer, Hanna, Emily and Aria sneak into Harold's office and he corners them, Toby comes to their rescue by allowing Aria to sneak around Harold. When they go back outside, Hanna asks him how he knew they were in there and he saw them go in to the back door. Emily says that they were lucky he was there and Spencer gives him a side hug for saving her and her friends.
In "Mona-Mania", Toby is helping Spencer study for her competition with Mona. Spencer beings to tense up when she realizes she hasn't even gotten to the hard stuff. Toby massages her shoulders as he tells her he could go with her to hold her spit bucket and crack her knuckles in between rounds. Toby realizes Spencer isn't doing this just for looking good for college's, but Spencer believes Mona is bating her. Just then Toby gets a call from his boss, and Spencer has to get dress, so Spencer kisses her hand and puts it on his lip as he wishes her good luck in the competition.In "Misery Loves Company", Toby takes a shower at Spencer's place because his plumbing is still down. He promises her that this is the last time, but she doesn't mind because she gets to see him shirtless. They discuss how they can't see each other tonight on their anniversary because she has to go to a dinner with her family. When Spencer gives him his jeans, she realizes there is a hole in them and tells him she can fix it for him. Just then, her mom walks in as they discuss the dinner tonight and Toby leaves to go to work.
Unbeknownst to him, Spencer is surprising him for their anniversary and is not really going to a dinner. Her mom gave her a lasagna recipe that she is cooking for him at his place. She plans on giving him a scrabble board that says "I love you" on it, and the words "goofball" and "glyceraldehyde" from the first time they became a couple. On the side of the scrabble board she engraved it saying "For T. My safe place to land. Always your girl, S."
Spencer goes back to her house when she hears someone in the bushes. It turns out to be Toby who is taking a break from work because he wanted to give her flowers for their anniversary. They kiss and she says that they're beautiful as she puts them in a vase. Toby sees an "A" key on her counter, but Spencer says that it was Melissa's. Toby has to go back to work so they kiss again and say "I love you".Later that night, Spencer calls Toby to make sure is okay because he was driving back in a storm. He tells her that he'll make it back before it really hits. Thinking Spencer is not home, Toby sneaks into her house to get the "A" key back. To his surprise, Spencer has the key because she figured out he was A from seeing the Radley card at his place. When he walks toward her, she slaps him for everything he did to her and her friends. Before either of them can say anything else, Spencer's mom comes home and he runs out as Spencer cries in her mom's arms.
A broken-hearted Spencer goes to Toby's loft to hear an explanation about what she just saw tonight. When he doesn't answer, she tries to get in with her key but the locks got changed. Spencer begins to break down crying in front of his door realizing that the guy she is in love with, is apart of the A-Team.In "Out of the Frying Pan, Into the Inferno", Spencer and Toby are making out in Spencer's room as they peel off layers of clothing. Just then, a black hooded figure starts chocking her as she wakes up from the bad dream. At school, Spencer breaks down crying in front of Emily saying that her and Toby broke up. Later on, Spencer hires a Private Investigator to find out what room the key is too. She also gives him a picture of her and Toby together, saying if he follows that guy he'll find the room. But before she gives it to him, she rips herself out of the picture so she doesn't have to remind herself of everything that he put her through. In "Dead To Me," Spencer can't sleep at night, so she gets up to look at the box of stuff that reminds her of her relationship with Toby. She looks at the picture of them together and re-reads a card he gave to her telling her how much he loves her. She begins to cry wondering if their entire relationship was a lie or not.
After Spencer finds the empty 'A' room, she starts sobbing because it seems that Toby doesn't care for her, despite being A. She goes to the mausoleum where Ali's remains got buried. After the other girls and Jason have left, she spots Toby's mother's vault near to Alison's and uses the key to A's Lair to scratch Toby's name into the marble next to his mother's name, signalling that he is dead to her.
In Out of Sight, Out of Mind, Spencer follows Mona into the forest. After Spencer loses Mona, she comes across a small clearing next to the lake, where a bloodied body is lying on the ground, dressed in motorbike gear and wearing a motorbike helmet. The tattoo '901 Free at Last' can be clearly seen, indicating that this is Toby. Spencer begins to violently sob over the body, and she is about to take off the helmet to see if it really is Toby, but Mona calls out to her, saying 'He's dead'. Spencer then runs after her, screaming, angry that Mona has killed Toby.
In "A DAngerous GAme", Toby shows up at the diner seen in "Over My Dead Body". It is revealed that he is pretty eyes. He sits down in front of who he believes is Mona, telling the person that Hanna received the job watching Malcolm. He is taken by surprise when the person answers, "I know" because it is Spencer. Spencer reveals that Mona told her Toby was really alive and that she wanted to believe this was true until she actually saw him. She asks whether or not he was really in the woods, and he answers that he wasn't involved in the faking of his death. Spencer is angry because Toby let her believe that he was really dead. Toby then says that everything he has done as a member of the A Team was only to protect Spencer, and he was stringing Mona along so Spencer wouldn't get hurt. Spencer says that Mona is unaware that she has met with Toby, and that Toby would be her "reward" on Friday if everything went well for the Liars. Spencer reminisces about all of the bad things she has done as A. Toby then tells her that she isn't safe there, and that they need to go someplace else. He also admits that their relationship was real.
Back at the motel Toby is staying at, Spencer still seems skeptical of Toby. She tries to give him the cold shoulder, but when he admits that Mona doesn't know where he is staying and that he doesn't know anything about Red Coat except for her leadership, she begins to believe him. Spencer says she understands why Toby made the decision to join the A Team, as she has made the same one. But she also adds that she doesn't entirely believe him because she hasn't seen him hurting in the same way she has been. Toby is saddened by this, and begins to cry and Spencer realizes that this has been hurting him just as much as it has been hurting her. She tries to console him and apologize and the two end up kissing each other. A few scenes later, Spencer and Toby are seen kissing each other, having sex, and cuddling than spooning.
Later, Spencer, Mona, and Toby are all in the cabin, waiting for the girls and Big A to show up. Spencer tries to convince Mona that Emily, Hanna, and Aria are on their way to the cabin, as she has just spoken to them. Mona tries to question her further, but Spencer ignores her and kisses Toby and hugs him, to which Mona looks disgusted. After getting off of the phone with Red Coat, Mona hands Toby a flashlight. Spencer doesn't know what's going on. Mona taunts her, saying, "It sucks being lied to." Toby harshly orders Spencer to follow him. Spencer realizes she has been set up. Out in the woods, it is actually revealed that Toby previously informed Spencer of this plan and she played along with it. Toby goes out into the woods, reminding Spencer what to do, "If things go wrong." Spencer tells Toby to be careful as they see the aircraft land. Toby reminds her that the objective is for her to see Red Coat, not the other way around. Than in the end of the episode it is seen that Spencer, Mona, Hanna, Aria, and Emily are driving off leaving Toby behind and waking up on the ground with the lighter.[[File:Tumblr mjxrdvnbc01qjw5pto1 500.jpg|thumb|Alison in the red coat]
In "'A' is for A-l-i-v-e," Spencer and Toby are exploring the bruned remains of the lodge, to find any possible clues of Red Coat. Toby is examining a pile of charred wood where he thought he'd seen a fireman drop a red coat, but there is nothing there. Spencer asks if she can go into the lodge, and Toby replies no, saying it's not safe. Spencer walks in anyway, and Toby, upon noticing this, rolls his eyes.
Later in the episode, Spencer and Toby are in her kitchen and Spencer is reading out Wilden's murder report in the newspaper while Toby makes her breakfast. Toby tries to take Spencer's mind off of the murder and forces her to eat the breakfast cooked for her by her 'boyfriend'. Spencer says she likes the way that sounds. She then asks for more coffee, and against his better judgement, Toby agrees to pouring her one more cup. They kiss.
In Turn of the Shoe, Toby comes up to Spencer's room to give her a ride to school. He gives her a quick kiss and they're about to leave, but when Spencer says she should ditch and spend the day with him, he hastily says that he has a job. His phone then rings, but upon seeing the caller, (probably A ) Toby puts it in his pocket. Spencer asks him what's wrong and says they don't keep secrets, but Toby denies keeping any. Spencer tells him about the events of the previous night, but it doesn't seem like breaking news to him. Before Spencer can get any more suspicious, Toby leaves in a hurry.
While ripping up her first draft of her college essay, Spencer asks Toby why he is at her house. He confesses to moving the RV, because A had something he wanted. Spencer gets mad and questions how he knew where Mona had parked it. Toby replies that A already knew. Spencer continues to yell until Toby gets out a transcript from Radley of the night that his mother killed herself.
Spencer reads out the transcript, which says that Toby's mother had turned over a new leaf and was beginning to show signs of improvement, making plans for the future. Toby is visibly upset, so Spencer stops, but he urges her to continue. Toby says that the Mrs Cavanaugh on the transcript doesn't sound like someone who would kill herself later that day, and Spencer agrees. Spencer asks him if he should trust information that A gave him. Before
anything else can happen, Aria knocks on the door. Toby begs Spencer not to tell her anything, and Spencer agrees. They embrace and he walks off, drying his tears.
In Cat's Cradle, Spencer and Toby are at Toby's loft. Toby is looking through his mother's transcript again, while Spencer researches more about Tippi's phone number. Realizing Toby's stressed out and upset, Spencer approaches him. He says he wants to find out more about his mom, but it's not in the transcript. She looks at him for a moment and tells him that the other girls are going to find out about what he did with the RV. Toby says he knows, and then stands up. Spencer informs him that they should probably tell the girls before they find out, but Toby says he doesn't have the courage to do it.
They discuss more about -A and Toby's mother, until Spencer suggests that they go back to Radley to actually check the facts on the transcript. Toby's slightly surprised that Spencer's willing to go back there, and Spencer nods, saying "if it would help". So they plan on going back to Radley to check the transcript's facts and learn more.
Spencer and Toby go back to Radley, and Spencer breaks them in. Spencer explains how she got in, and Toby
smiles and tells her how Mona must've been impressed. Once the two get in, they look around until they reach Mrs. Cavanaugh's room. Toby explains to Spencer what the facts suggest happened to his mother. Toby thinks he gave the RV to -A for nothing, but Spencer thinks otherwise. She thinks -A gave him something real. Toby says he needs to talk to someone who was there on the day of his mother's death, such as her doctor: Dr. Louis Palmer. Spencer takes his hand.
In Face Time, Spencer tells Toby that she has located Dr. Palmer. She gives him the address, and they're about to go, but Toby tells her that he's going alone, since Spencer has to worry about Melissa. She asks him why he has to go now, and he says, "Now is all I've got."
After he says that, they kiss. It's implied they walk downstairs to the Brew, where Toby kisses her again and then leaves to talk to Dr. Palmer. Aria then questions her about where Toby is going, believing that he's gone to find the RV. Spencer knows that Toby doesn't want her to tell anyone about his mother and the RV, so she just plays along and tells Aria that she thinks he'll be ok.
In Under The Gun, Mona reveals to all the girls that Spencer has been protecting Toby by not telling them that he moved the RV. The girls don't believe her at first, until Spencer admits it's true. The other girls are shocked by this revelation, and upset with her. They're about to reveal it to Hanna, but Hanna says whatever they need to say can wait, so she still doesn't know yet. Unfortunately, Spencer cannot tell them the reason he moved the RV, due to the fact that she promised Toby she wouldn't until he's ready.
Later on, Toby comes over to Spencer's house. She tells him that the other girls know he moved the RV, and are upset with her. Toby says he can't tell them the reason he moved the RV because then he'll never know what really happened to his mother. Spencer understands, but she's still annoyed. She knows she has to win her friends' trust back.
Even later, Spencer drives herself and Toby to Ravenswood. Toby tries to apologize for all of this, but Spencer simply says "I know", implying that she's still a little bit upset. He points out some creepy things in Ravenswood as they continue to drive. They look around Ravenswood for a bit, but after realizing it's really creepy when somebody's watching them from the windows, they start driving away, and continuing to look for Carla Grunwald. When they arrive at where they think she is, a creepy man says he's the only one here, and continues to trim the bushes. Spencer grabs Toby's hand and tells him they should leave, and then they drive back into some location in Ravenswood.
Spencer sees Mrs. Grunwald in a building, and she rushes in to get answers. When Toby notices she's gone, he rushes into the building while Spencer begins confronting Mrs. Grunwald. When Mrs. Grunwald seems to be lying, as she says she knows nothing about Alison, Spencer gets irritated and then leaves the hair salon with Toby. Toby tells Spencer she needs to let go and stop trusting birds, Spencer gets a little frustrated. She's frustrated because he thinks she needs to let go. She says that she may be trusting birds, but he's trusting -A.When there's a little silence between them, Toby suggests that they get food, as he seems hungry. He asks Spencer if she's sure she doesn't want anything, and she shakes her head. Toby goes off to get food while Spencer begins to hear people singing around a statue. She approaches it so she can investigate a little, and then she notices that Shana is there, wearing a bright red outfit and standing out. Spencer begins rushing back to Toby, and informs him that Shana's here. He's also baffled.
Shana begins to get into Jenna's car, and Toby points it out. They get back into Spencer's car, and Spencer starts driving quickly so she can keep up with Jenna and Shana. Unfortunately, they lose Jenna and Shana when a dead crow hits their car.
In Crash and Burn, Girl!, Spencer comes over to Toby's loft after Caleb and Toby learn from Nigel Wright that CeCe was involved with the lodge and the plane. The three of them discuss it a little bit, and then Toby asks Caleb for a minute alone with Spencer, and Caleb jokingly says they can, but they shouldn't start making out or something. Spencer laughs a little and says that she missed him while Caleb and him were playing 'Hardy boys', but now isn't the time for that. She goes into the kitchen with Toby and they talk.In The Mirror Has Three Faces, Toby talks to Spencer about the sheet music and the note from -A. She strokes his back. Toby asks her to come along to see Dr. Palmer, but she's confused to why. He says that she's the only one he can talk about this with. Spencer doesn't know what to tell Emily, but Toby tells her to say nothing. They go to visit Dr. Palmer. Toby introduces Spencer, and all three of them sit down. Spencer begins to play the piano music, and Dr. Palmer thinks she's Toby's mother. Toby plays along and pretends like he's not there. Dr. Palmer reveals more when Spencer asks about the blonde girl. He tells her about someone with the name "DiLaurentis" right before the staff take him away because his visiting hour was over. Since he was taken away, he didn't get to answer any of their questions about the DiLaurentis girl.
In Bring Down the Hoe, Spencer confronts Toby about CeCe and other things. They go into his truck and Toby turns it on, when music starts playing. The music is Toby's mother singing, and he begins to cry. Spencer doesn't want him to trust -A anymore, but he doesn't listen.
Spencer meets with her friends, and they're wondering why she keeps sneaking around with Toby. Hanna asks her if she's pregnant, causing Emily to tell her to shut up. Spencer reveals that Toby is getting gifts about his mother's death. Later on, Emily tells her to tell Toby not to trust -A.
At the hoedown dance, Spencer and Toby arrive, with Emily by their side. Spencer says that she doesn't know the difference between a two-step and a polka, so she asks Toby if he'll lead. He says sure, but then jokes and asks what a polka is.Later on, Toby sits down on the stairs and looks at a text that -A sent him, with the address of where Palmer's car is. Just then, Spencer comes to the stairs and asks him if he wants to dance. He smiles and says sure. He puts his arm around her, and they walk back inside. They start to dance to a slow song. Spencer's worried that Toby has talked to Emily. Spencer tells him that he doesn't have to dance if he doesn't want to, but he tells her that he does and pulls her back. He tells her that he just wants to go find Dr. Palmer's car tonight. Spencer gets upset that he's still using the gifts from -A. They begin to argue a little, until Spencer accidentally says that "everyone" thinks he should stop. He gets angry and asks her if she's told her friends about his mother. She says she had to choose between them and him. He gets angry and says that she chose them. He storms away.
In Now You See Me, Now You Don't, Spencer is worried because no one has seen Toby since the night of the hoedown. She calls him and messages him multiple times, but he doesn't respond. He's really in his loft, very upset about what happened (the set-up with A).
Toby starts walking out of his loft and to the Brew, when he sees Shana. Shana drops a paper on her way out, so Toby picks it up and reads it. It reveals information about Wren and Melissa. Toby immediately calls Spencer. It's implied that she invites him over, because he is at her house in the next scene.
Toby keeps pointing out that Wren is her ex-boyfriend. After they change the subject from Wren, Spencer confronts him about leaving. She expresses how concerned and scared she was that A had done something to him. She tells him he can't disappear anymore. He tells her that he usually leaves when he feels like the walls are closing in on him, but this time, he stayed for her. He tells her that she was right about A. She tells him that she doesn't want him to stop looking, but he says that he doesn't want A's version of the story, and that's as close as he wants to get to A ever again. She wipes a tear off her face, and Toby takes her hands.Later, they're seen cuddling on the couch. Toby has his arm around her, and Spencer's head is resting on his chest as they lay together on her couch with a blanket over them.
The next day, Spencer is with her friends. She's on the phone with Toby as they reach the magic show in Ravenswood. Spencer says, "I love you" over the phone to him before she hangs up.
In Who's In The Box?, Spencer is with her friends when she sees Toby's truck. He gets out as her friends leave, and Spencer and Toby reunite in front of Rosewood High. They hug each other, and Spencer asks about his mom, until Mona drives by quickly, making the subject change to her.
Later, Spencer is at Toby's loft. They continue to talk about his mom. (Side note: a Spoby bear is hidden in this scene). Their conversation leads to the subject of Radley.
Spencer and Toby confront a woman from Decladine about the issue with his mother. Spencer backs him up.
At Spencer's house, Toby compliments Spencer's work. She suggests that he talks to his dad about the thing with his mom, and he says he will, but he has more important things. By that, he means Spencer. He kisses her, but she pulls away when her dad comes home. Toby starts to talk about how smart she is to her dad. He tells Mr. Hastings about Radley, and he says that Radley could be shut down.
In Love ShAck, Baby, Spencer comes up to Toby's loft with coffee. He reveals that Spencer's dad cancelled on their meeting. Spencer says that she doesn't think that meeting with her dad is a good idea anyways, since they don't know the real reason he wants to help. She thinks her dad is hiding something. Toby half-jokes that they don't know a lot of things, such as "Astrophysics, Portuguese, how to make flan". He insists that he should do this, and Spencer seems reluctant, but she agrees to talk to her dad about it.
She gets up to leave, but Toby pulls her back to the couch to kiss her. They start to make out on his couch, and then Spencer says she knows how to make flan. Toby jokes and says he's not surprised. They both laugh before starting to make out again.
Later, after Spencer gets into an argument with her dad, she goes to Toby's loft and asks if she can move in with him for a while.
In Close Encounters, Spencer is in Toby's loft in the morning after she moved in with him. She is wearing Toby's boxers and shirt. There's a knock at the loft door, and it's her dad. He's surprised to see her there, since she lied and said she was with Hanna. Toby comes out in only a towel, starting to say, "Spence, I got the hot water...", possibly implying that Spencer and Toby were going to shower together. Spencer's dad tells Toby to put some pants on, and then they have a talk about Radley.
Spencer finds out that her dad has an ulterior motive for wanting Toby to sign the Radley papers. She calls Toby and tries to warn him. When she goes to his loft after she's just followed Emily, she discovers that Toby's already signed the paper. She's upset that her dad manipulated him into signing it. Toby gets upset and tells her to let it go. He gets up and walks away.
- Toby and Spencer first said their "I love you's" in "My Name Is Trouble" and Toby was the first one to say it. Spencer does not explicitly say "I love you" until "The Lady Killer".
- Spencer admitted in "Breaking the Code" that she and Aria had cried a lot over losing Toby and Ezra. This means that she missed him a lot.
- Toby is the only person Spencer really trusts aside from Hanna, Emily and Aria. She tells him almost everything except about "A" but that is because she is only trying to protect him.
- Toby was the first guy that Spencer opened up to about her family. She trusted him when she told him about her dad and the time she ran away. Spencer was also the first person Toby has ever opened up to because he talked to her about getting framed for killing Ali.
- In "Over My Dead Body," Spencer is looking in the mirror angry at herself while in the interrogation room. The scene cuts back to where Wren kisses her. This means she felt guilt over the kiss because she was looking so angry at herself.
- They have both run away.
- They have began dating on November 6 due to Caleb's password being 1105 which was the night he and Hanna slept together. The next morning was when Spencer and Toby kissed.
- They had sex the first time in "The Lady Killer" and also in the same episode Toby was revealed as a part of The "A-Team" at the end.
- They had their first dance together, although it was a fast song, in "This Is A Dark Ride." They danced to Adam Lamberts' song "Cuckoo."
- They broke up on their first anniversary in "Misery Loves Company".
- Spencer wrote Toby's name on his dead mother's grave, which signals that he is dead to her.
- In "Out of Sight, Out of Mind ", Spencer finds what is believed to be Toby's dead body.
- Toby and Spencer have both joined the A-Team to protect each other.
- In interviews, Troian Bellisario and Keegan Allen have speculated the writers decided to make their characters a couple because they are such good friends on set.
- According to writer Bryan Holdman, the Spoby scene in 3x05, "That Girl is Poison" was not in the original script, and was instead written and filmed halfway through filming of 3x08, "Stolen Kisses."
- When EW interviewed Troian Bellisario, she said that other than the girls, Toby is the one thing in the world that Spencer loves and feels comfortable with. So when Spencer finds about he is apart of the A-Team, you'll see a storm.
- Marlene King, in an ET interview, stated that Spoby will come to a resolution by the season's end. "I think the Toby/Spencer of it all will be resolved by the end of season 3B." - Marlene King
- Bryan Holdman stated on Twitter that "S4 Spoby is like S3 Spoby...but different."
- Tyler Blackburn (Caleb) is Team Spoby.
- Oliver, in an EW interview, stated that for Spencer (as the rest of the girls) competition for her affections is coming up. However, many of these romantic interests “don’t surface maybe till we’re deep in [season] 4A, sometimes earlier than that."
- Oliver also stated the pairing is indeed going to be “somewhat strained by some of the circumstances surrounding his [Toby] own personal mystery."
Dating TimelineFirst Relationship:
- Started: "A Person of Interest" (1x19)
- Reason: They develop feelings for each other and kiss.
- Ended: "Over My Dead Body" (2x12)
- Reason: A threatened Toby's life and Spencer figured the only way to keep him safe is by ending the relationship.
- Started: "unmAsked" (2x25)
- Reason: Toby had been secretly working to help Spencer take down A and they reunite in the town square.
- Ended: "Misery Loves Company" (3x16)
- Reason: Spencer found out Toby was the second A
- Started: "A DAngerous GAme" (3x24)
- Reason: Spencer finds out Toby is alive and joined the A-Team to protect her.
Music in Spoby scenes
- "Brittle Winter" by Gemma Hayes (played while Spencer sees Toby cry in the alley in "Know Your Frenemies.")
- "Sit With Me Tonight" by Garrison Starr (played while Spencer arrives at Toby's house and he tells her that she cant tutor him anymore in Je Suis une Amie.")
- "Try" by Zach Berkman (played while Spencer drives Toby home and glance at each other in "The New Normal.")
- "Glitter In the Air" by Pink (played as Spencer sleeps next to a shirtless Toby in a motel room in "A Person of Interest.")
- "Sea Of Love" by Cat Power (played while Spencer and Toby talk about running away and Toby takes her hand in "Someone to Watch Over Me.")
- "Time To Be Your 21" by Alexz Johnson (played while Spencer and Toby are in her bedroom. Spencer's studying and Toby's reading a book. Toby call's her over to sit on the chair with him as they look out the window in "For Whom the Bell Tolls.")
- "Far Far" by Yael Naim (played as Spencer tells Toby that he is her safe place to land and they kiss again in "For Whom the Bell Tolls.")
- "Add My Effort" by The Weepies (played when Spencer checks on Toby at work and he tells her he got fired in "The Goodbye Look.")
- "How Good We Had It" by Hayley Taylor (played when Spencer gives Toby the truck and they exchange "I Love You's" in "My Name Is Trouble.")
- "Call it the Same" by Madi Diaz (played while Toby helps Spencer pack up Ian's things in "Touched by an 'A'-ngel.")
- "Wrap My Mind Around You" by Trent Dabbs (played while Toby brings Spencer to school and they kiss before she leaves in "I Must Confess.")
- "Posion and Wine" by The Civil Wars (played while Spencer and Toby make out in his truck in "I Must Confess.")
- "I Will Let You Go" by Daniel Ahearn (played while Spencer crys out her window because Toby got hurt and she had to end things with him in "The Blond Leading the Blind.")
- "Our Story (One Day At a Time)" by Graham Colton (played while Toby asks Spencer if she is alright in "Eye of the Beholder.")
- "Hot Button" by Anya Marina (played while Toby gets out of the shower and Spencer is checking him out. Its also playing as they make out in "It Happened 'That Night'.")
- "Gone" by Lianne La Havas (played while Toby and Spencer make out on her couch in "Blood Is The New Black, and also while Spencer carves Toby's name into his mother's crypt in Dead to Me).""
- "Find A Way" by Tyler Blackburn (played while Spencer calls Toby to tell him she misses him in "The Kahn Game")
- "The Backpack Song" by Bear Attack (played as Spencer and Toby reunite on the street in "The Lady Killer")
- "In My Veins" by Andrew Belle feat. Erin McCarley (played as Spencer and Toby have sex for the first time in The Lady Killer)
- "Cuckoo" by Adam Lambert (played as Toby and Spencer dance in "This Is A Dark Ride.")
- "Goldberg Variations BWV 988 Aria da Capo" by Johann Sebastian Bach (played by Glenn Gould) (played as Spencer breaks down in front of Toby's door because he is A in "Misery Loves Company")
- "Until It Hurts" by Fransisca Hall (played while Spencer dreams about making out with Toby in "Out of the Frying Pan, Into the Inferno")
- "Burn" by Madi Diaz (played while Spencer looks at the pictures of her and Toby in "Dead to Me")
- "Invisible" by Plumb (played when Toby walks into the diner where Spencer is waiting)
- "Ride" by Lana Del Rey (played while Spencer and Toby have sex in the motel room in "A DAngerous GAme")
Threats To Spoby
- Wren: He comes back into town to be with Spencer, he still tries to go out for coffee and kiss her though Spencer is with Toby. Every time Wren gets the chance he tries to flirt with Spencer.
- A: A forced Spencer to keep him safe by not being with him. An also caused Toby to fall off scaffolding. Also, Spencer had discovered Toby was on the A-Team and that broke her heart.
- Spencer's parents: They disapprove of their relationship. Spencer's father agrees to give him a job, only to fire him later on..
- Jenna: She has a grudge against Spencer. She is also believed to still have feelings for Toby and reminds him of it every chance she gets.
- Toby: He damaged his relationship with Spencer because he is working on the A-Team, much to Spencer's dismay. However in A dAngerous gAme it is revealed that he is a double agent therefore no longer a threat to Spoby.
Spoby Memorable Places\Items
- The Rosewood Motel\Rosewood Motor Court- Spencer and Toby stay over night in this motel because they are staking out the next room. They stay in room together and play scrabble which Toby wins. Spencer checks Toby out as he takes off his shirt. They sleep in the same bed and they end up cuddling. Outside in the parking lot, they share their first kiss.
- Toby's truck - Spencer buys Toby his truck and after she gives it to him, they say their first "I Love You's" to each other. Toby's truck is also a place where Spencer and Toby make out a lot in as well. They make out in his car in "I Must Confess" and in "A Hot Piece of A". Spencer also broke up with him in his truck the first time. After Spencer breaks up with Toby by telling him she cheated on him, he returns the truck but has it back because he is leaning against in "unmAsked."
- The Rocking Chair - Toby made Spencer a rocking chair after she broke up with him the first time. She says its beautiful, but she can't take it. In "It Happened 'That Night'", after Toby gets out of the shower he dries himself off with a towel. He then places the towel on the chair meaning that Toby re-offered her the chair over the summer and she took it and keeps the chair in her room.
- The Police Station - After Spencer gets arrested and broke up with him, Toby goes to see her. He tells her that he doesn't care about what she can't tell him; only that cares about her. He screams, "I love you!" while being restrained by Police officers.
- The Hills Overlooking Rosewood - Spencer and Toby first went to this scenic spot overlooking the city in "The New Normal," after Toby was proven to be innocent of Alison's murder. They discussed the 214 message and what it meant. In "The Goodbye Look" the couple goes there to get away from their hectic lives, and they comfort each other about their reputations. In "Surface Tension," after Spencer sees her father burning the hockey stick Toby found in the Hastings yard, they meet up to talk, and Toby reassures Spencer that no one could possibly believe that she would hurt Alison.
- Toby's Motel Room - In "A DAngerous GAme" Toby reveals to Spencer that what they had was real and that he joined the -A Team to protect her. Spencer is skeptical at first, angry with Toby for abandoning her in such a bad time. Toby then begins to cry, telling Spencer he is sorry and that she needs to believe him. Spencer softens and wipes away some stray tears from Toby's face as he pulls her in by the waist. This leads to them beginning to kiss. They are later seen in bed, having sex as passionately as only Spoby can, and kissing intimately. They later cuddle together and fall asleep, with Toby being the big spoon.
- Spencer's Room - In "The Lady Killer," Spencer gives Toby her virginity in her room.
- Scrabble- When they were spending the night in a motel together, they played scrabble and Toby joyfully beats her at it with the word "goofball." In "Misery Loves Company," for their anniversary, Spencer gets Toby a scrabble board that has "I love you" on it, and the words "goofball" and "glyceraldehyde" from the night they spent together. Spencer also got the board engraved by putting "For T. My safe place to land. Always your girl, S."
- Toby's Shirts - In "A Person of Interest", Spencer stays the night with Toby at a motel. She is wearing her school clothes so he gives her his blue shirt to wear to bed. In "It Happened 'That Night'", Spencer is seen wearing it again as Toby comes out of the shower. He flirtatiously comments that she looks better in the shirt than he does. Spencer also takes another one of his shirts because after they have sex in "The Lady Killer," she is seen wearing it when they go downstairs. In "A DAngerous GAme" Spencer comes out of the bathroom wearing Toby's shirt and they later have sex.
Spoby Deleted Scene Moments
1. In "It's Alive," Spencer and Toby are cuddling next to each other in front of the fireplace after he sneaks in to see her against her parents' wishes. Spencer says that she loves having him there but she just hates that they have to sneak around. Toby tells her that when he was away the year before, he talked to some people and he is thinking about starting his own carpentry business. Spencer is happy for him and says that he has to make her something. He says he already has but he doesn't want to give it to her yet because he wants to save up to buy his own place and she'll put it there. Spencer smiles at this and they kiss as they hold hands.
2. In "Over My Dead Body," Toby and Spencer are in Spencer room talking about Melissa's ring. Spencer shows him it and says she found it around the house. He thinks it weird that no one had noticed it before. In another scene, Spencer is in Toby's truck telling him that she lied to him that morning. She reveals the truth that she stole her sister's ring to buy the truck because she was worried about him, leading to her breaking up with him to fulfill her doll's order to "keep Toby safe."
Toby [in Je Suis une Amie]: Maybe you know something you're not supposed to.
Spencer: Yeah, well, whenever I think I know something I get the rug pulled out from under me and I end up on my ass.
Toby: C'est dommage...
Spencer (smiling): C'est la guerre.
Toby [in A Person of Interest]: ...To be honest, it was really fun to kick your ass at Scrabble.
Toby [in Someone to Watch Over Me]: People cross the street when they see me coming, and they think you’re trying to frame your brother-in-law. Who else are we gonna hang out with?
Toby [in Someone to Watch Over Me]: Do me a favor.
Toby: If you ever get the urge to run away again, call me first, okay?
[They smile and then they hold hands.]
Spencer [in For Whom the Bells Tolls]: Look I've never had a safe place to land, but now I feel like I do. So I want you to stay safe.
Toby [to Peter, in It's Alive]: I would never do anything to hurt Spencer.
Toby [in My Name Is Trouble]: I love you so much.
Spencer: I wanted to say that first.
Spencer [in Never Letting Go]: Wow, you sure know how to walk a girl home.
Toby [while kissing her face and neck]: So what time do you need me tomorrow?
Spencer: After schoolish, you know, after the meeting. You think you can build me some makeup tables?
Toby: For you I won't sleep until it's done.
Spencer [in Never Letting Go]: Mona is five feet of insidious snark with a side ponytail, and I just want to grab and yank it really, really hard.
Toby: Spence, she stepped up while you dealt with some pretty big things, things that were way out of your control, but look maybe we should just both enjoy the fact those pretty big things are over; we can both take a breath.
Spencer: Yeah, you're right.
Toby [in Never Letting Go]: You look amazing.
Spencer: Thank you.
[Spencer kisses him on the cheek]
Mona (interrupting): Where's your headset? Here, take mine. I need you to track down the tribute slide show disc and give it to Noel, okay.
[Mona walks away]
Spencer (angry): I wanna...
Toby: Take a breath.
Spencer [in Surface Tension]: I figure I can set up a chair and just fan myself while I watch you work.
Toby [as Spencer is about to kiss him, in Surface Tension]: I'm kinda sweaty.
Spencer: Well, I can handle it.
Toby [interrupting their make out session, in I Must Confess]: I thought I saw something.
Spencer: You keep your eyes open?
Toby [in Over My Dead Body: If we had a real baby,what would it look like?
Spencer: I'm picturing a newborn... with a six-pack.
Toby [in Over My Dead Body]: Spencer, I don't care what you can't tell me, I care about you. Do you hear me? I love you.
Spencer [in A Hot Piece of A]: Because I missed you. Shutting you out is killing me.
Toby [to Spencer, in UnmAsked]: Pretending not to love you was the hardest thing I've ever done.
Toby [to Spencer, in It Happened 'That Night']: You know that's my shirt?
Spencer: Yeah, and you're never getting it back.
Toby: I don't want it back [Kisses her] You look better in it than I do.
[They kiss again]
Spencer: Okay, I know that it was my idea to wait, but right now I'm just completely forgetting why. [Kisses him]
Toby: Well, you'll remember after I put some clothes on.
Spencer [in That Girl is Poison]: Wow, it's weird.
Spencer: The most honest person I know has to share parents with the most deceitful person in this town.
Spencer [over a voice message, in The Kahn Game]: Hey. Um.. I just called to say I miss you. I'm worried about you. I just really miss you.
Spencer [as she is hugging Toby, in The Lady Killer]: Please, don't let me go. I'm so sorry for everything. For all the secrets.
Toby: Spencer, I know who you are. You never have to say your sorry.
Spencer [in The Lady Killer]: Did you get that job in Bucks County just to get away from me?
Toby: I know it looks that way, but no.
Spencer: You're going back...
Toby: Spencer, I'm exactly where I need to be.
Toby: I love you.
Spencer: I love you too.
Spencer [in This Is A Dark Ride]: You make it so hard to be modern and post-feminist when you get so alpha male.
Toby: Why, you want me to stop?
[She smiles and they kiss]
Toby [in She's Better Now]: Do you still want to run after school?
Spencer (smiling): Yeah, sure. [Tugs on his hair as her voice becomes cute in tone] I missed you.
Toby [about Spencer's competition with Mona, while rubbing her shoulders in Mona-Mania]: I could come with, and I could rub your shoulders in between rounds, and wrap your knuckles, and hold your spit bucket.
Spencer: Okay, this is not a prize fight, but I would like to punch her.
Spencer: No, I would love for you to be there!
Toby [walks in Spencer's room wearing only a towel, in Misery Loves Company]: I promise today is the last time they have to shut the water off in the loft.
Spencer [while checking him out in the mirror]: I already told you, I don't really have a problem with it.
Toby: Are you sure you can't come over later and check out the new tub?
Spencer: I hate that I can't see you tonight.
Toby [in Misery Loves Company]: Is there anything that you can't do?
Spencer [putting her hands on his cheeks]: Yes, get out of this stupid dinner that is keeping me from you on our anniversary.
[On the Scrabble board engraved as a present for Toby, in Misery Loves Company]: For T. My safe place to land. Always your girl, S.
Toby [in Misery Loves Company]: Love you.
Spencer: I love you too.
Spencer [crying outside the porch believing Toby is inside, in Misery Loves Company]: Will you just tell me what I saw tonight wasn't real? Please. Just tell me that there's more to the story. That there's something that I don't know. Please, please, Toby. Please tell me.
Toby [sits down at a table across from Spencer, in A DAngerous GAme]: Hanna got the job.
Spencer: I know. [Lifts head up to face Toby]
Spencer: When I was in Radley, Mona told me that you were alive. I wanted to believe her, but until now... Back in the woods, was that you? Were you a part of it?
Toby: Mona told me after.
Spencer: And you let me believe that you were dead? [Breaks into tears]
Toby: Everything I've done... so I could protect you.
Spencer: I want to believe that.
Toby: Let me take you somewhere safe. [pauses] Does Mona know you're here?
Spencer: No. She told me that you would be there Friday, that you would be my reward for delivering the girls.
[Toby is silent]
I kidnapped a 7-year-old. I'm the reason Aria and Ezra broke up. So I've earned her trust.
Toby: It's not safe for you to be here.
Spencer: I stopped worrying about me a long time ago.
Toby: What we had was real. I've been pretending to work with Mona so I could keep you safe. I need you to believe me... and I need you to follow me. [Walks away from the table]
Spencer [standing in Toby's motel room, in A DAngerous GAme]: Doesn't look like anybody lives here.
Toby: I shuffle between a few motels. Mona doesn't know about this one. [Hands Spencer a cup of tea, their hands touching briefly before he turns away]
Spencer: And Red Coat?
Toby: The only thing I know about Red Coat is that she's in charge.
Spencer: I know.
Toby: You still don't trust me.
Spencer: Look, I understand why you've been helping Mona. I made the same decision. But if I saw you hurting, the way that I know that you saw me... Toby...
[Kneels down besides Toby and kisses him]
Toby [in Under the Gun]: I'm not driving back to Rosewood with low-blood-sugar Spencer. That's worse than no-caffeine Spencer.
Spencer (sarcastically): Wow, your girlfriend sounds awesome.