|Season 7, Episode 11|
|Air date||April 18, 2017|
|Written by||Allyson N. Nelson & Joseph Dougherty|
|Directed by||Chad Lowe|
The DArkest Knight
These Boots Were Made for Stalking
Spencer focuses on learning more about her connection to Mary Drake, while Aria and Ezra figure out what their future may hold now that Nicole is back in the picture. Mona helps Hanna get her fashion career back on track, and Emily struggles to balance things between Ali and Paige now that the three of them are working at Rosewood High. Meanwhile, A.D. has a special delivery for the Liars, one that reveals the final endgame. The Liars realize this latest gift pushes things to a whole new level.
Leaving off from The DArkest Knight, Spencer is woken up by a paramedic who asks for her name, and then her mother's. This leaves Spencer confused, as it was just revealed to her that Mary Drake is her birth mother. The scene then cuts to Alison, Hanna, Aria and Emily walking down the hospital and asking questions on whether Noel was A.D. and the whereabouts of Jenna. They then see Toby being pulled by paramedics. Confused, Hanna questions why Yvonne isn't present even though Toby is.
One week later, Toby is out of the hospital and has a brief talk with Aria, where he also reveals that the car accident was caused by a deer, and that it wasn't on purpose or caused by anyone else. It is also revealed that Yvonne is in a medically induced coma.
The next scene cuts to Aria packing her things, as she is about to leave Ezra's apartment. She opens the door to find Ezra, and he notices the bags. After Aria says she was going to leave until he returned from reuniting with Nicole, Ezra takes Aria bags and puts them down.
In the next scene, Hanna pinches Caleb awake, and begins to talk about Jenna and finding out her location. Caleb then stops her and says that she's needs to get her fashion career back on track.
Spencer brings all the girls together to meet at her barn, and Aria is the last to arrive. A black box can be seen, and it is opened by all of the Liars. Inside, they find a game board entitled "Liar's Lament", which includes a map of Rosewood, a phone in the middle that gives instructions, and figurines that represent the Liars from their high school days. The phone in the middle was originally found on the side, where it proclaimed that this was the "Endgame", telling the girls that Uber A's game was coming to an end. They agree to leave it alone for now.
Hanna and Aria have a conversation about Aria's unusual predicament with Nicole and Ezra, where Hanna tells Aria that she'll plan an amazing wedding and everything with Nicole will be fine.
At Alison's house, she and Emily talk about how Paige was hired by Rosewood High to be their Athletic Supervisor, and how Alison is dealing with her pregnancy. Emily tells Ali that she is not alone in this, but is shot down by Ali, who also says that it's getting late and she must go to bed.
The next day, Mona finds Hanna sitting outside a restaurant, and looks through Hanna's outfits that she's designs. Mona asks her if she's going to enter a contest with her designs, but Hanna is reluctant to share her designs with the world ever since she left her job with Claudia. Mona then starts taking pictures of Han's designs, and tells her to not leave town.
The next scene shows Spencer and Marco talking about Jenna and her connection to Noel and Archer. He then pulls out a gun in an evidence bag, and asks Spencer is she's sure it was the gun that shot her. Spencer says yes, but Marco tells her that it is not the correct gun, and that Mary Drake and Jenna Marshall could've been at the school for the blind the night Noel died.
Aria and Hanna are seen at a wedding planner's shop, where Hanna says it's the best one they've seen all day. Aria shows her reluctance towards it, as she sees her old childhood friend Holden walk in. Hanna walks out to take a call from Mona, where Holden and Aria talk about Holden being a chef for the planner, and Aria getting married to Ezra.
At the school, Emily goes to May Horowitz about Alison and Paige being in the same committee. May asks if there is something she should know, Paige walks in and says she and Ali weren't friends during high school. May questions if there'a any conflict, and Paige declines anything going on between the two.
Hanna and Mona meet in the Radley lobby, and are joined by a New York Senator's daughter named Katherine Daly. Moan introduces the two to each other, and Katherine then says that she's doing a fundraiser for her dad, and wants to wear something new. She's interested in Hanna's designs, and they agree that she can wear one of the outfits.
Spencer arrives home to her mother, where they have a slightly painful hug as Spencer's arm has been injured from the gunshot she received. Veronica tells Spencer that her father will be home later, giving the excuse that there was a problem with his passport. After being asked by her mother, Spencer tells her that Elliot Rollins was a fraud and took Ali's money, Noel kidnapped Hanna, but she got away and he is now dead, Jenna most likely shot her, and that Toby and Yvonne were in a car crash. Veronica only truly wanted to know how Spencer was, and Spencer says it'll all depend on hos things go in the next few minutes. Veronica becomes confused, and Spencer confronts her about Mary being her birth mother. Her mom confirms this, and says that Mary tricked Peter into thinking she was Jessica. Peter and Veronica then decided to adopt Spencer, as Veronica felt that it was the right thing to do.
After Katherine gets her outfit from Hanna, and Paige and Alison have a heated moment during a meeting, Spencer is in the barn with the game. She gets a text from A.D., saying that if she wants to learn more about Mary that she has to play the game. After a moment, Spencer opens the box, and the phone in the middle lights up with a green Truth button, and a red Dare button. She lingers over the Truth button, before ultimately choosing the Dare one. The phone then says that Spencer must visit a "sick friend", with a picture of Toby next to it.
Spencer visits Toby in the hospital, and Emily and Alison argue about the pregnancy. Alison tells Em that her life is a hot mess, and Emily says that everyone's is. She then asks Alison if the kiss she got from her was because she wanted to, or didn't want Emily to leave. Alison says she doesn't know, and Emily leaves after telling Alison to not kiss her again until she knows.
Meanwhile, Mona and Hanna argue about which dresses Katherine can wear, and Spencer returns to the barn. She takes off her sling, and the game turns on. The phone turns on as well, and displays the message 'Here's Your Prize!' An envelope with the Radley address in the top left corner comes out of a slot in the game, which Spencer takes. On the front, the letter says, 'For my child', which Spencer assumes is for her from Mary. She opens it, and finds a letter and a puzzle piece. She takes the puzzle piece, lifts up the phone from the game board, and places the piece in its correct place. She reads the letter from Mary, where she apologizes for what she's done.
Afterwards, Veronica finds Spencer laying on the couch in the house, with the letter next to her. She doesn't read it, but takes the blanket and puts it on her daughter.
At the school, Emily finds Paige and talks to her about Alison, and also says that she should expect an apology soon. Paige although says she doesn't need it, and begins talking about how Alison plays the 'victim' in the situations she's gotten herself into. Emily gets a text from Spencer, and heads to her house.
In Spencer's barn, Hanna says that they all agreed not to play it, and what gave Spencer the right to do it. Aria holds up the letter from Mary, and says that the letter gave her the right to play. Hanna tries to defend her case by pointing out that it may not be real, but Emily disproves that theory by saying that it goes with what Veronica said. Spencer apologizes, and Hanna questions what else is in the game since Spencer got a letter from it. As the Liars try to stop Hanna from stabbing it, the phone makes an alarm-like noise, and the Liars watch a video of Hanna and Spencer digging up the spot where Rollins was buried, with 'Can't Stop Playing Now!' in red letters at the bottom. They realize that they can't destroy or stop playing the game, unless they want to get arrested for Rollins' murder.
The episode ends with Jenna drinking tea, and A.D. taking it from her. She says that A.D. promised to tell her what the plan was, and is given a binder with the plan and backstory written in braille. Before the screen cuts to black, Jenna goes through the first few lines of the binder, and whisper says, "Endgame."
- This second part of the season is about a board game created by Uber A, which the Liars are forced to play for the final 10 episodes.
- Spencer is confirmed to have survived the shooting and to be the daughter of Mary Drake and Peter in this episode by Veronica herself.
- Spencer is the first Liar to play A.D.'s board game.
- Toby is confirmed to have survived the car crash and fully recovered, though Yvonne is in a coma and her survival is unclear.
- Jenna is now working directly with A.D.
Title and Background
- The title was revealed by Joseph Dougherty on Twitter, answering a question of a fan.
- The title comes from A.D's message that was delivered along with a big black box containing the board game.
- Troian Bellisario as Spencer Hastings
- Ashley Benson as Hanna Marin
- Lucy Hale as Aria Montgomery
- Shay Mitchell as Emily Fields
- Janel Parrish as Mona Vanderwaal
- Sasha Pieterse as Alison DiLaurentis
- Tyler Blackburn as Caleb Rivers
- Ian Harding as Ezra Fitz
- Keegan Allen as Toby Cavanaugh
- Lesley Fera as Veronica Hastings
- Lindsey Shaw as Paige McCullers
- Nicholas Gonzalez as Marco Furey
- Shane Coffey as Holden Strauss
- Emma Dumont as Katherine Daly
- Tammin Sursok as Jenna Marshall
- Cathy Ladman as May Horowitz
- The table read for this episode occurred on June 29th, 2016.
- Filming for this episode began on July 11th, 2016 and wrapped on July 19th, 2016.
- This is the first and only episode of the show to be written by Allyson Nelson, the long-time assistant to Joseph Dougherty, who co-wrote the episode with her, making this the 6th and final mid-season premiere to be written by him.
- This is also the last episode of the series to be directed by Chad Lowe, who has directed multiple episodes since the second season of the show.
- In a Facebook live broadcast on August 29th, 2016, it was officially announced that Season 7 is the last of the series.
- Unlike in previous years, this is the first (and only) mid-season to air in April.
- The lead sheet was released on February 17th, 2017.
- The episode's official press release was made public on March 17th, 2017.
- The intro in this episode features Hanna doing the 'Shhh'.
- The episode was watched by 1.33 million viewers on its original broadcast, with delayed viewing the numbers soars to 2.00 million viewers.
- "A Little Longer" by Armon Jay - (One week later) Toby informs Aria that Yvonne is in a medically-induced coma after the accident)
- "Come to Think (feat. Finneas)" by Gabrielle Current - (Ezra takes Aria's bag back inside when arrives home and finds her about to leave; Hanna wakes Caleb up suggest that they get on finding Jenna but he suggests that she get back to her fashion career)
- "Take Me There" by Phases - (At The Radley, Mona introduces Hanna to Senator Daly's daughter and fashionista, Katherine Daly; Hanna and Mona tells Kate about the fashion line and offers the ability to wear one of Hanna's designs)
- "I Got This" by Amy Stroup - (After viewing Hanna designs in person, Katherine agrees to wear one of Hanna's dresses, then reveals that Mona is touting herself as Hanna's boss as tells Hanna to have Mona contact her people)
- "White Noise" by Banta - (Hanna confronts Mona about Katherine interpreting Mona was her boss, which she denies tells Katherine, apologizes and immediately calls Katherine to correct the mistake)
Behind the Scenes
- ↑ Pretty Little Liars Scoop: A Time Jump, a Musical Number… and a Reunion?
- ↑ Playtime
- ↑ Instagram: Update on the episode's table read
- ↑ Twitter: Update on the first day of shooting the episode
- ↑ Twitter: Joseph Dougherty confirms last day of filming for the episode
- ↑ ‘Pretty Little Liars’ To End With Season 7
- ↑ Freeform: Pretty Little Liars - Lead Sheet
- ↑ Freeform: Pretty Little Liars - Playtime (4/18)