|“||I am so blown away by what an impact this show has had on my life since. We owe it all to you, #pllarmy. Don't ever stop watching and loving us. And I owe it to you, @imarleneking. Thanks for trusting me and believing in me and giving me a family and role to love for 7 years. Let's do this.||”|
— Janel Parrish
Janel Parrish is an American actress, singer/songwriter, and pianist. She is best known for playing Jade in the 2007 film Bratz: The Movie and her regular role as Mona Vanderwaal on the ABC Family series Pretty Little Liars and the main character on its spin-off, Pretty Little Liars: The Perfectionists. She also placed third overall in the nineteenth season of Dancing with the Stars in 2014.
Life and Career
She got her start as a professional entertainer when she was cast as Young Cosette in the National Touring Company of Les Miserables, and later portrayed the same character in the Broadway production as well; the role showcased both her acting and singing abilities. She subsequently appeared in several community theater productions in Hawaii—most notably as "Scout" in Manoa Valley Theatre's revival of To Kill A Mocking Bird in 1998. Parrish got her first off-stage acting job as a minor role in 1999's four-part miniseries Too Rich: The Secret Life of Doris Duke. Shortly after, she appeared in two episodes of Baywatch as a young girl named Hina.In 2000, she was featured in Disney's made-for-TV live-action incarnation of the Pinocchio story entitled Geppetto. She then went on to appear as the character Vanessa in the short-lived sitcom The O'Keefes, as well as appearing in many Disney shows and made-for-TV movies on the Disney channel. Along with appearances on The Bernie Mac Show, Zoey 101 and The O.C.. One of her recent acting roles has been the theatrical Bratz motion picture, as one of the main characters, Jade. It is her first role in a theatrical motion picture as well as her first starring role. She also landed a recurring role in the hit NBC series Heroes.
Parrish began playing piano at age six. At age 14, on January 3, 2003, she appeared on the 2003 remake of Star Search, performing the song "On My Own".In 2007, Parrish was signed to Geffen Records to produce her first album. Her first single, "Rainy Day", one that she has written, along with its music video, was released on July 7, 2007, and was also featured on the Bratz Motion Picture Soundtrack. She also makes a brief appearance in Prima Js "Rockstar" music video, which is also on the soundtrack. She also made an appearance in NLT's "She Said, I Said" music video. She provided background vocals for the song.
Parrish was cast in a recurring as Mona Vanderwaal in the hit ABC Family] TV series Pretty Little Liars] based on the book series by Sara Shepard. She originally auditioned for of Spencer Hastings before being offered the role of Mona. In March 2012, Parrish was promoted to series regular from the third season onward.
Parrish returned to her theater stage roots in Over the Moon Productions' intimate presentation of the Tony Award-winning Broadway musical Spring Awakening as Anna, and understudying for Lindsay Pearce, former contestant of The Glee Project, as Wendla.
In 2014, she became a contestant on the nineteenth season of Dancing With the Stars, partnered with professional Val Chmerkovskiy. She made it into the finals and placed third overall. She also starred in the TV movie High School Possession as Lauren Brady.
In 2017, it was announced that Janel would reprise her role as Mona Vanderwaal in the Pretty Little Liars spin-off, Pretty Little Liars: The Perfectionists. She would serve as the main character, instead of a series regular.
She announced her engagement to her longtime boyfriend, Chris Long, on October 23, 2017. They found and booked their wedding venue on January 29, 2018. She announced that she had found her wedding dress on February 3, 2018, from Panache Bridal in Beverly Hills. The pair had their engagement party on February 12, 2018.
|2010||Triple Dog||Cecily Gerber|
|2011||One Kine Day||Leilani|
|2011||4 Wedding Planners||Hoku Wolf|
|2012||Celeste and Jesse Forever||Savannah|
|2013||To Those Nights||Audrey|
|2017||Until We Meet Again||Lisa Wagner|
|2018||To All the Boys I've Loved Before||Margot Covey|
|2018||Hell Is Where the Home Is||Estelle|
|2018 (TV Movie)||I'll Be Watching||Kate Riley|
|2004||The Bernie Mac Show||Laura|
|2009||True Jackson, VP||Kyla|
|2010–2017||Pretty Little Liars||Mona Vanderwaal|
|2013||Hawaii Five-0||Rebecca Fine|
|2014||Drop Dead Diva||Chelsea Putnam|
|2014||Dancing with the Stars||Herself|
|2014||High School Possession||Lauren Brady|
|2015||The Mysteries of Laura||Jillian Havemeyer|
|2016||Rush Hour||Nina Taylor|
|2019||Pretty Little Liars: The Perfectionists||Mona Vanderwaal|
|2012||Teen Choice Awards||Choice TV: Villain||Pretty Little Liars||Won|
|2013||Teen Choice Awards||Choice TV: Villain||Pretty Little Liars||Won|
|2013||TV Guide Awards||Favorite Villain (with Keegan Allen)||Pretty Little Liars||Nominated|
|2014||Teen Choice Awards||Choice TV: Villain||Pretty Little Liars||Nominated|
|2016||Teen Choice Awards||Choice TV: Villain||Pretty Little Liars||Won|
|2017||Teen Choice Awards||Choice TV: Villain||Pretty Little Liars||Won|
- She loves to sing and considers music her true passion.
- She like Starbucks and her favorite drink is a caramel macchiato.
- She plays the piano.
- As of April 2017, Janel has twenty-four known tattoos.
- She enjoys the Twilight movies and considers herself a TwiHard.
- She is afraid of sharks and won't surf because of this fear.
- Her parents are former body-builders, which has helped her stay in shape and exercise.
- She missed her original flight for her audition because her passport had expired, so she had to reschedule her audition.
- She originally auditioned for the role of Spencer Hastings but didn't book the role. A few months later, she was called in to read for the role of Mona and fell in love with the role.
- She found out that Mona was Uber A, a week before filming started.
- She, along with the rest of the PLL main cast, got tattoos on their pointer finger with heir characters first initial.
- Janel was the first cast member to find out about The Perfectionists spin-off.
- Janel is of Han Chinese descent.
- She has one sister, Melissa Nohelani, who is eight years older and served in the U.S. Army.
- Janel has watched a lot of Romantic Comedy's and has seen many of the cult classics.
- Her favorite Rom-Com is When Harry Met Sally.
- Janel can't beatbox and has never been able to.
- She had a hard time getting into the television and movie industry because of her race and the lack of diversity in roles.
- She has never been involved in a love triangle and believes that they are too complicated to get involved in.
- During filming for To All The Boys I've Loved Before she channeled her relationship with her own older sister with her role of Margot. She views her older sister as her own Margot, and their relationship is very similar to that of Margot and Lara's.