|“||We swim around in this fishbowl like we're in control, but we're not. There's always been somebody watching. Manipulating. We're out of our league. All of us.||”|
|Farewell, My Lovely|
|Season 7, Episode 19|
|Air date||June 20, 2017|
|Written by||Joseph Dougherty|
|Directed by||Joseph Dougherty|
Choose or Lose
'Til Death Do Us Part
Convinced they know who A.D. is, the Liars gear up for a confrontation. Spencer, Hanna, and Caleb team up to investigate and discover new information about Charlotte’s death. Meanwhile, Mary Drake returns with a gift for Spencer and Alison.
- The flashforward scene from "Game Over, Charles" was revealed to have been one of Emily's nightmares all along, in which she and the Liars were hiding from an undead Archer Dunhill.
- Mary Drake is giving Spencer and Alison the Lost Woods Resort to do with as they wish.
- Mona is revealed as Charlotte's Killer. Knowing that she had not changed despite her therapy, she confronted Charlotte at the the chruch's bell tower in an attempt to scare her. They engaged into a fight where Mona accidentally killed Charlotte in self-defense by pushing her against a sharp pipe.
- Mary Drake turns herself in for Archer's murder in a way to protect Spencer and her friends and gets arrested. She also reveals to the police that she is Jessica's Killer, much to Alison's shock.
- The Liars have now completed Liar's Lament and the game is now dead. Although, A.D. had also saved the game pieces and drove out of town.
Title and Background
- The title was revealed by Joseph Dougherty on Instagram.
- The title could refer to a book of the same name published in 1940 by Raymond Chandler. The book is about a detective trying to find a murderer while beginning an affair with a married woman. In the end, the woman is exposed as someone else and commits suicide after murdering her ex.
- Troian Bellisario as Spencer Hastings
- Ashley Benson as Hanna Marin
- Lucy Hale as Aria Montgomery
- Shay Mitchell as Emily Fields
- Janel Parrish as Mona Vanderwaal
- Sasha Pieterse as Alison DiLaurentis
- Tyler Blackburn as Caleb Rivers
- Ian Harding as Ezra Fitz
- Andrea Parker as Mary Drake
- Vanessa Ray as Charlotte DiLaurentis
- Roma Maffia as Linda Tanner
- The table read for this episode occurred on September 28th, 2016.
- Filming began on September 29th, 2016 and wrapped on October 11th, 2016.
- This is the last episode of the show to be written by Joseph Dougherty. With 34 episodes, he has the highest number of writing credits than any other writer on the show. This also marks the fourth and final episode of the series to be directed by Joseph Dougherty. He made his directorial debut on the show with "Shadow Play".
- The episode's official press release was made public on June 2nd, 2017.
- The intro in this episode features Alison doing the 'Shhh'.
- This episode was watched by 0.83 million viewers during its original broadcast.
- "Without You" by Harry Nilsson - (The Liars leave the game behind at the Lost Woods; Montage of the board game; A.D. drives off into the sun with a set of game pieces representing the girls)
Behind the Scenes
Spencer: Look, guys, our only shot at a break is a live Mona explaining how we ended up on that road with Dunhill.
Ezra: Do you know what makes A.D. so dangerous? She can't forgive, that is the only edge any of you ever have had over her and now you don't even have that.
Mona(About the Game): Somebody stole it from me, somebody's always stealing the game from me.
Ezra: I have a masters degree in American literature. There is nothing I can't handle.