|“||Choose or Lose! Just one plea, the rest go free! If no one steps up, you all go down!!||”|
|Choose or Lose|
|Season 7, Episode 18|
|Air date||June 13, 2017|
|Written by||Charlie Craig|
|Directed by||Norman Buckley|
Driving Miss Crazy
Farewell, My Lovely
The Rosewood PD turn up the heat on the Liars, causing loved ones to try and close ranks. Aria’s recent collaboration with A.D. comes to the attention of a surprising source. A.D. presents the PLLs with a choice designed to drive a wedge between them. Meanwhile, everyone tries to find a bit of happiness and spend what could be their last night of freedom with the ones they love before all hell breaks loose. Toby returns to Rosewood, and Aria makes a horrifying discovery.
- This episode marks Tanner's first appearance in Season 7. Ironically, this episode is directed by Norman Buckley, who also directed the Season 4 episode, "Face Time", in which Tanner made her first ever appearance on the show.
- The police issues a search warrant for The Liars' respective houses and takes away a lot of things, including their mobile phones, forcing them to use cheap flip-phones for communication.
- Marco Furey handed over the case of Archer Dunhill's murder to Lt. Tanner. Tanner reveals to Spencer that she specifically asked for this case as she has always thought that the Liars were guilty of something.
- Toby returns to Rosewood per Tanner's request and later sleeps with Spencer.
- A.D. asks the Liars to choose one of them to take the fault for Dunhill's murder and go to jail within 36 hours, or they would all be turned in. After the 36 hours is up, instead of choosing someone, Spencer destroys the game phone.
- Mona hacks into the phone A.D. left for Aria at The Brew and overhears a part of their conversation. Armed with this newfound discovery, Mona reveals to the other Liars and Caleb that Aria is part of A.D.'s team.
- Aria tells A.D. that she wants to meet him/her. After much hesitation, A.D. agrees to meet Aria, but before A.D. could show up, the Liars catch Aria red handed, wearing the black hoodie, waiting for A.D.
- Caleb informs Ashley that Hanna ran over Dunhill after she begins to suspect Hanna to be covering for Alison.
- Hanna and Caleb get married.
- A.D. claims that Aria won the game and terminates her from the team by destroying a phone they gave Aria.
- Caleb tracks the signal from the game to Mona's apartment, where she has the game to further examine it.
- Aria discovers that A.D. has placed Dunhill's corpse in her car trunk, and closes it just as a police car pulls up to confront her.
Title and Background
- The title was revealed by Norman Buckley on Instagram.
- The title refers to A.D.'s new task for the Liars: chose just one of their own to go to jail otherwise they all go to jail.
- Troian Bellisario as Spencer Hastings
- Ashley Benson as Hanna Marin
- Lucy Hale as Aria Montgomery
- Shay Mitchell as Emily Fields
- Janel Parrish as Mona Vanderwaal
- Sasha Pieterse as Alison DiLaurentis
- Tyler Blackburn as Caleb Rivers
- Ian Harding as Ezra Fitz
- Laura Leighton as Ashley Marin
- Keegan Allen as Toby Cavanaugh
- Roma Maffia as Linda Tanner
- Jim Titus as Barry Maple
- The table read for this episode occurred on September 19th, 2016.
- Filming for this episode began on September 20th, 2016 and wrapped on September 29th, 2016.
- This is Norman Buckley & Charlie Craig's last episode for the show. Norman has the highest number of directing credits on the show, while Charlie returned this season after Season 2 to serve as co-showrunner. This also marks their first collaboration on the show together, making Norman the only director on the show to have directed scripts written by almost all the PLL writers. He never directed a script written by Kyle Bown, Kateland Brown or Francesca Rollins.
- This is the first episode to be directed by Norman Buckley in which Mona makes an appearance after being absent from all the episodes Norman directed since after "Miss Me x 100".
- The episode's official press release was made public on May 30th, 2017.
- The intro in this episode features Spencer doing the 'Shhh'.
- This episode marks Tyler Blackburn's (Caleb Rivers) 100th appearance on Pretty Little Liars.
- This episode was watched by 0.96 million viewers during its original broadcast.
- "Save Me" by Majik - (Hanna arrives at The Radley lobby with her bags when she runs into her mom who questions whether she and her friends are involved in Archer's death then offers her help but Hanna refuses to allow her to)
- "Leave Your Love" by Young Summer - (Spencer heads to The Radley bar when she runs into Toby, he informs her that Tanner called him in for questioning then tells her his prospective of what Tanner is up to)
- "A Little Wicked" by Valerie Broussard - (At The Radley, Hanna, Spencer, Emily and Alison watch as the clock continues to count down to the 24 hours; Hanna questions the other girls if they noticed Mona was different when they saw her earlier)
- "A World Waiting" by Spencer Thomson - (After failing to get answers from Hanna, Ashley goes to Caleb to find out what's going on)
- "Stand By Me (Re:Imagined)" by Denmark + Winter - (Spencer and Toby makeout; Emily and Alison begin to kiss then makeout; Hanna and Caleb are married by a Justice of the Peace with Ashley as their witness; Aria and Ezra have passionate sex)